Re: [The Existential Society] And no paddles either.....

  • kathykundalini@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2005
      More Mark Twain Quotes:

      "Faith is believing something you know ain't true."

      "'In God We Trust.' I don't believe it would sound any better if it were true."

      "It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

      "Religion consists in a set of things which the average man thinks he believes and wishes he was certain of."

      "There is no other life; life itself is only a vision and a dream for nothing exists but space and you. If there was an all-powerful God, he would have made all good, and no bad." [Mark Twain in Eruption]

      "Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast" [Reflections on Religion, 1906]

      "O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it..." ["The War Prayer"]

      "[The Bible is] a mass of fables and traditions, mere mythology." ["Mark Twain and the Bible"]

      "Man is a marvelous curiosity ... he thinks he is the Creator's pet ... he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to
      him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea." [Letters from the Earth]

      "If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

      Mr. Clemens was once asked whether he feared death. He said that he did not, in view of the fact that he had been dead for billions and billions of years before he was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
      "[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies."
      "In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing." [Autobiography of Mark Twain by Samuel Clemens]

      "I am the only man living who understands human nature; God has put me
      in charge of this branch office; when I retire there will be no one to
      take my place. I shall keep on doing my duty, for when I get over on
      the other side, I shall use my influence to have the human race drowned
      again, and this time drowned good, no omissions, no Ark." (Mark Twain)

      Bob M.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to: