Can you handle life?

  • janvanbiervliet66
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2005
      Planet Cioran + Yahoo Group

      http://www.geocities.com/PlanetCioran/

      What will be the physiognomy of painting, of poetry, of music, in a
      hundred years? No one can tell. As after the fall of Athens, of
      Rome, a long pause will intervene, caused by the exhaustion of
      consciousness itself. Humanity, to rejoin the past, must invent a
      second naiveté, without which the arts can never begin again.
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      In certain men, everything, absolutely everything, derives from
      physiology: their body is their mind, their mind is their body.
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      Better to be an animal than a man, an insect than an animal, a plant
      than an insect, and so on. Salvation? Whatever diminishes the
      kingdom of consciousness and compromises its supremacy.
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      To stretch out in a field, to smell the earth and tell yourself it
      is the end as well as the hope of our dejections, that it would be
      futile to search for anything better to rest on, to dissolve
      into. . . .
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      Paradise was unendurable, otherwise the first man would have adapted
      to it; this world is no less so, since here we regret paradise or
      anticipate another one. What to do? where to go? Do nothing and go
      nowhere, easy enough.
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      Philosophers write for professors; thinkers for writers.
      - Drawn and Quartered

      Man is the great deserter of being.
      - The Fall into Time

      Suffering makes you live time in detail, moment after moment. Which
      is to say that it exists for you: over the others, the ones who
      don't suffer, time flows, so that they don't live in time, in fact
      they never have.
      - The New Gods

      From denial to denial, his existence is diminished: vaguer and more
      unreal than a syllogism of sighs, how could he still be a creature
      of flesh and blood? Anemic, he rivals the Idea itself; he has
      abstracted himself from his ancestors, from his friends, from every
      soul and himself; in his veins, once turbulent, rests a light from
      another world. Liberated from what he has lived, unconcerned by what
      he will live; he demolishes the signposts on all his roads, and
      wrests himself from the dials of all time. "I shall never meet
      myself again," he decides, happy to turn his last hatred against
      himself, happier still to annihilate--in his forgiveness--all
      beings, all things.
      - A Short History of Decay

      Cut off from every root, unfit, moreover to mix with dust or mud, we
      have achieved the feat of breaking not only with the depth of
      things, but their very surface.
      - "Civilized Man"

      What life is left him robs him of what reason is left him. Trifles
      or scourges--the passing of a fly or the cramps of the planet--
      horrify him equally. With his nerves on fire, he would like the
      Earth to be made of glass, to shatter it to smithereens; and with
      what thirst would fling himself toward the stars to reduce them to
      powder, one by one.
      - A Short History of Decay

      If truth were not boring, science would have done away with God long
      ago. But God as well as the saints is a means to escape the dull
      banality of truth.
      - Tears and Saints

      The only profitable conversations are with enthusiasts who have
      ceased being so—with the ex-naïve…Calmed down at last, they have
      taken, willy-nilly, the decisive step toward knowledge— that
      impersonal version of disappointment.
      - Drawn and Quartered

      As long as I live I shall not allow myself to forget that I shall
      die; I am waiting for death so that I can forget about it.
      - Tears and Saints

      What to think of other people? I ask myself this question each time
      I make a new acquaintance. So strange does it seem to me that we
      exist, and consent to exist.
      - Drawn and Quartered

      My mission is to suffer for all those who suffer without knowing it.
      I must pay for them, expiate their unconsciousness, their luck to be
      ignorant of how unhappy they are.
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      We smile, because no answer is conceivable, because the answer would
      be even more meaningless than the question.
      - The Trouble with Being Born

      I feel I am free but I know I am not.
      - The Trouble with Being Born
    • ebru canan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2005
        even reading theese made me feel the pain from my heart to my feet....so effective....

        janvanbiervliet66 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Planet Cioran + Yahoo Group

        http://www.geocities.com/PlanetCioran/

        What will be the physiognomy of painting, of poetry, of music, in a
        hundred years? No one can tell. As after the fall of Athens, of
        Rome, a long pause will intervene, caused by the exhaustion of
        consciousness itself. Humanity, to rejoin the past, must invent a
        second naivet�, without which the arts can never begin again.
[...]

        From denial to denial, his existence is diminished: vaguer and more
[...]

        ceased being so�with the ex-na�ve�Calmed down at last, they have

        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2005
          Granted reality is not necessarily a pleasant thing ebru, but it is
          what it is.

          "My little girl is singing: "Ah, ah, ah, ah!" I do not understand its
          meaning, but I feel what she wants to say. She wants to say that
          everything...Ah! Ah!...is not horror but joy." (Nijinsky)

          "A considerable percentage of the people in a great town are people
          who are empty inside, that is they are actually 'already dead'. It is
          fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it. If we knew
          what number of people are actually dead and what number of these dead
          people govern our lives, we should go mad with horror." (Gurdjieff)

          "Let the dead bury their own dead", grin and bear it, and "be of good
          cheer."

          --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, ebru canan
          <azeasina@y...> wrote:
          > even reading theese made me feel the pain from my heart to my
          feet....so effective....

          > janvanbiervliet66 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Planet Cioran +
          Yahoo Group

          > http://www.geocities.com/PlanetCioran/