Re: [The Existential Society] Outsiders looking in.....

  • kathykundalini@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , May 16, 2005
      Hi Bob ....

      If I understand what you are saying (with my ability to misinterpret, this
      is always questionable)...I think I disagree.

      You seem to be saying that humanity's only hope is through fulfillment of
      some kind of biblical prophecy, as when you say:

      "I foresee Biblical Christianity eventually
      playing itself out (i.e. the setting up of the abomination that
      maketh desolate and the second-coming of Christ."

      Followed later by:

      "... man, without divine
      intervention, cannot save the sinking ship he's on."

      You, of course, are free to believe whatever you like -- but to me, this
      viewpoint is not only invalid, but also very dangerous. It ultimately
      represents a belief in a magical saviour to make it all better -- and
      believing in this allows one to engage in a kind of (pseudo)moralistic
      superiority, while, in fact, ignoring the real social-historical situation
      that is threatening human life on earth. In other words, it means remaining
      basically passive while expecting a heavenly father figure to clean up our
      mess. It allows one to not come to any kind of real theoretical
      understanding and certainly not to imagine real solutions or take part in
      any actual movement that might do the dirty work of actually changing
      things. In other words, it is to embody the kinds of (non)action (or
      diversionary action) that many Christians have been criticized for over and
      over again for the last 200 years. This viewpoint seems to advocate putting
      humanity into permanent infantile status -- in that, it relies on God to
      save us -- which means that we earthly people are incapable of
      self-understanding, and self-action, and that, in fact, God's little
      earthly experiment is a failure. We dirtied ourselves and now we need our
      diapers changed, and we can't do it ourselves, so let's hope our savior
      comes along to clean up our mess. Well why should a savior come along? To
      save what? A bunch of messy infants that soiled their crib? Maybe the
      savoir is busy living-it-up on another planet where the folks learned to
      take care of themselves -- maybe they learned a little responsibility (and
      learned to consciously face their circumstances.) As I said before -- there
      are certain social-economic realities that need dealing with, that, in my
      understanding, are behind the basic "out-of-control" nature of modern life.
      These realities are humanly created, and therefore can be humanly
      transformed. I will happily send you (or anyone else) a longer piece in
      which I outline my theoretical analysis of our current situation. Just ask
      and it is yours...

      Kathy

      Message 2 of 13 , May 17, 2005
        Hi again Kathy,

        Dangerous you say? Not anymore so than it was during the great
        cleansing that took place in the days of Noah.

        '(Pseudo)moralistic' superiority you say. Why the need for
        the '(pseudo)moralistic'. Is not what is simply what is? Many are
        called-few are chosen? Let the dead bury their own dead? Straight is
        the gate, narrow is the way and few are they that find it? Consider
        the work of God; who can make straight what he has made crooked?
        Nothing much new under the sun here in this camp.

        The 'savior' concept I allude to is not of the typical petty and
        lame 'Graham style' (more road to hell paved with good intentions) of
        clinging to and riding on the coattails of a namby-pamby Jesus
        figure, but one more in the Tillich tradition of a torch-bearer of
        truth appearing in the flesh and prompting and instructing others by
        example of his own experiences and observations to not only walk in
        the footsteps of Christ the man, but then to go onward and beyond
        him. Likewise he would serve also to judge both 'the quick and the
        dead' in the process.

        Nietzsche put it quite nicely as follows:

        "But someday, in a stronger age than this decaying, self-doubting
        present, he must yet come to us, the redeeming man, of great love and
        contempt, the creative spirit whose compelling strength will not let
        him rest in any aloofness or any beyond, whose isolation is
        misunderstood by the people as if it were flight from reality-while
        it is only his absorption, immersion, penetration into reality, so
        that, when he one day emerges again into the light, he may bring home
        the redemption of this reality; its redemption from the curse that
        the hitherto reigning ideal has laid upon it. The man of the future,
        who will redeem us not only from the hitherto reigning ideal but also
        from that which was bound to grow out of it, the great nausea, the
        will to nothingness, Nihilism; this bell-stroke of noon and the great
        decision that liberates the will again and restores its goal to the
        earth and his hope to man; This Antichrist and Antinihilist; this
        victor over god and nothingness-He must come one day."

        Happy trails and trials,

        Bob M. (NTB)

        P.S. Feel free to place anything you'd like herein, so long as it
        meets the Yahoo guidelines Kathy.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2005
          Bob -- Well whatever it is you are trying to say appears to exemplify exactly what I was critiquing in my previous posting -- the infantile craving for The Authority, The Leader who will miraculouosly intervene to save the chosen few. This magical myth is even more dangerous than I first thought in that you choose to adopt an irrationality steeped in Biblical imagery combined with the expressed need for a fascististic "final solution." Your craven expectation of some macho-savior exudes the character-type of a frightened and disoriented child hoping against hope that Daddy will come at make it all right. This is dangerous because it represents a passivity and a disowning of the possibility of real action and real solutions (an attitude referred to by Sartre as "bad faith")...and this characterological rigidifation makes you extremely susceptible to fascistic projection onto some authoritarian avenger who will take control of your self-repressive fear of freedom and responsibility. Thus you risk falling into an enthrallment to some Power by way of your own character-armorings (self-repressions that are mapped onto your psyche and body). In other words, you sound like a perfect candidate for fascist indoctrination and manipulation -- and absorbtion into an irrational authoritarian movement made up of repressed, self-righteous lapdogs wagging their little tails in the service of the Top Dog Leader Supreme. Obviously this dynamic is active not just on the level of social vision or politics -- but is inherently psychological, which makes it very difficult to commicate about and discuss. I would only ask you if you have considered why you have these needs, why you have these vulnerabilities. Such a question would mean putting aside or bracketing the supposed truth-value of your attitudes, and to honestly probe your own psychology as to why you think the way you do -- why you are susceptible to one set of beliefs rather than another -- that is, what problems are you REALLY trying to solve, what energies or fears are you really trying to suppress and avoid, what frustrations are you really sublimating and why, what repressions are active in you -- and why their sublimated projection and release take the form that they do.

          *******
          "I recognized the deadly fear of the living in you, a fear which always makes you set out correctly and end wrongly. You had the happiness of humanity in your hands, and you have gambled it away. You had the world in your hands, and at the end you dropped your atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Through the centuries, you will shed blood where life should be protected, and will believe that you achieve freedom with the help of the hangman; thus you will find yourself again and again in the same morass. "
          "You are afflicted with the emotional plague. You are sick, very sick, Little Man. It is not your fault. But it is your responsibility to rid yourself of this sickness." (Wilhelm Reich)
          ********
          "If you want a Big Brother,
          you get all that comes with it." (Erich Fromm)

          ********
          Kathy

          <kathykundalini@c...> wrote:
> [...]
          along? To
          > save what? A bunch of messy infants that soiled their crib? Maybe
          the
          > savoir is busy living-it-up on another planet where the folks
          learned to
          > take care of themselves -- maybe they learned a little
          responsibility (and
          > learned to consciously face their circumstances.) As I said before -
          - there
          > are certain social-economic realities that need dealing with, that,
          in my
          > understanding, are behind the basic "out-of-control" nature of
          modern life.
          > These realities are humanly created, and therefore can be humanly
          > transformed. I will happily send you (or anyone else) a longer
          piece in
          > which I outline my theoretical analysis of our current situation.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Message 4 of 13 , May 20, 2005
            Hi Kathy,

            I'm quite aware that many of the things I try to convey here will
            only be understood by the hearts and minds of a few, and then at best
            perhaps only limitedly and fragmentarily presently. But attempts must
            be made and I sit reasonably content with mine and without any need
            for further argument or attempts to prove anything. Actually though
            to carry on any further with this particular theme (end of the old-
            beginning of the new, at least on a collective level) I feel would be
            essentially non-productive in the awakening of others, which I must
            still continue to remind myself is job-one. Save for stating that
            rather than an 'irrational fascist authoritarian avenger' type that
            you somehow deduce appearing (according to me), the new man or men I
            have in mind would be more along the lines of a genuine
            teacher/friend who's thoroughly walked the walk, is thereby free of
            the bondage of self, totally void of self-interest, and deeply
            immersed in love, experience, understanding, and wisdom.

            Last evening while lying in bed with my wife before retiring for the
            night, I read aloud the following reflection of his childhood days by
            Sam Keen from his book, "The Passionate Life: Stages of Loving".

            "Where does my story, or yours, begin? When I trace the roots of my
            being, at what point do I distinguish between 'my' self and the soil
            in which I was planted? When can I first say 'I am'?.....I could
            begin with the birth of self-consciousness. One day, when I was nine
            years old, I was walking down Court Street in Maryville, Tennessee.
            Near the bottom of the hill, fifteen feet from an apple tree, on a
            part of the sidewalk that was smooth enough for skating, I knew
            suddenly and with blinding clarity that I was different than my
            parents, my brothers and sisters, and my playmates. Self-
            consciousness descended on me like a hawk. In a sense, I might date
            the origin of my self from this moment.....But my consciousess was
            swaddled in a cradle made by nature and culture long before I knew
            myself to be a person apart from others. I was neither father,
            mother, nor architect of my own being. No self-made man. I grew like
            a seed in humus that was composted of the residue of generations. A
            nexus of communication of the living and the dead wove the tissue of
            my mind and body. My individuality was born from a web of life too
            intricate to unravel. Thinking back on the context that created me, I
            can only conclude that I must start my story with this affirmation: I
            was loved; therefore I am. As Martin Buber put it, "In the beginning
            was relationship"." (S.K.)

            My wife and I then again reflected back on our own lives and
            discussed how we both see clearly now that our own early childhood
            feelings and experiences were near carbon-copies of Mr. Keen's. And
            it was also especially apparent (and quite painfully at times) to us
            that the 'God seed' or the foundation of an authentic self was
            somehow formed in us from the very beginning and that this was not
            the case with the vast majority of those around us. In our particular
            cases though we both went down the road to destruction as life went
            on, only to have been eventually 'called back' to the need to
            recapture and begin rebuilding the authentic self along with
            discovering the causes of our 'falls'. And here I've become once
            again fully aware of the twice-born nature of both my wife and myself
            and I'm now wondering if this was the case with Keen, Reich, Fromm,
            and others, of course. I've read much of Reich (liking the 'body
            armor' business while rejecting the orgone baloney) and Fromm (The
            Art of Loving) over the years, but I don't recall how they regarded
            themselves personally so far as being once or twice 'born'. And I
            think here of a pretty neat, long gone, older, but once-born cousin I
            had, and who served as a good male role model for myself in my
            childhood years. Although in retrospect as neat, wise, mature,
            responsible, successful, and good to and for myself as he surely was,
            I find in him there was a lacking in the sense of his being a fully
            whole and complete human being. A common grandmother (who raised him
            and obviously quite well) often said to me that she felt he was 'too
            good for his own good'. I think now I finally got the picture.
            Personally while I too would often let others 'shit all over me'
            (seemingly a real weakness in those with the inherent capacity to
            love), I could too rise to the occasion, at least at times, and tell
            many of them to go pound sand up their asses if need be, thank
            goodness.

            Anyway I think here of Nietzsche's man of 'great love and contempt',
            and the difficult balancing act that such a state of being entails,
            but the absolute need for attaining it, if one is to ever truly stand
            on his own two feet and walk fully upright and thereby being fully
            pleasing to our Creator.

            Lastly, I doubt there'll ever be a true 'final solution', although I
            believe there'll soon come a considerably lengthy time of great
            peace, harmony, and genuine brotherhood among all men here on planet
            earth. And once again, this will all come about by God's design and
            in His time, and not man's. Until that time, or till the end of my
            days, again I must continue to live fully in the solution and make
            awakening others both individually and collectively job-one. Though
            not by long-winded psychological, philosophical, or religious banter
            and rhetoric, theories and/or argument, but simply by sharing
            (freely) my own and other's personal down to earth living and
            spiritually growing experiences and observations.

            Be well Kathy,