Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

  • Andrew Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
      I've read Anthony Flew for years now, and he was indeed an atheist, even wrote a "Dictionary of Atheism." What he "converted" to, however, should not be made much of. He is now a "Deist" like our Founding Fathers were, and most Christians and Jews think "Deism" is atheism of a type anyway. Deism says that some being (God?) set things in motion and then let them go their own way, kind of like a wind-up toy. In that sense, I, too, am a Deist since I believe in Leibniz's "Monads" which work much the same way. Flew says that "God" (which f-----g one?) set the world and all things in motion, but that is not really news to me, at least. Consider these things well before going out on the street and start preaching! Anthony Flew is far from being a "Fundamentalist" (of any kind). I imagine he'll join the Church of England and be welcomed as were our Founding Fathers, Washington, Jefferson, Adams, etc.

      Al-Hallaj Kabir Ali
      "May you live in interesting times!"

    • Monte Morris
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2004
        Yeah, the news headlines, particularly in the US, were
        extremely misleading. It'll give the fundies alot of
        "ammo," however false it be. But cheap, dishonest
        "scholarship" has never seemed to bother them anyway,
        providing that it serves their agenda.
        --Monte
        --- Andrew Smith <aupanishad@...> wrote:

        > I've read Anthony Flew for years now, and he was
        > indeed an atheist, even wrote a "Dictionary of
        > Atheism." What he "converted" to, however, should
        > not be made much of. He is now a "Deist" like our
        > Founding Fathers were, and most Christians and Jews
        > think "Deism" is atheism of a type anyway. Deism
        > says that some being (God?) set things in motion and
        > then let them go their own way, kind of like a
        > wind-up toy. In that sense, I, too, am a Deist
        > since I believe in Leibniz's "Monads" which work
        > much the same way. Flew says that "God" (which
        > f-----g one?) set the world and all things in
        > motion, but that is not really news to me, at least.
        > Consider these things well before going out on the
        > street and start preaching! Anthony Flew is far
        > from being a "Fundamentalist" (of any kind). I
        > imagine he'll join the Church of England and be
        > welcomed as were our Founding Fathers, Washington,
        > Jefferson, Adams, etc.
        >

        > Al-Hallaj Kabir Ali
        > "May you live in interesting times!"

        > removed]