Re: [The Existential Society] Digest Number 144

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2004
      theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. The Rock
      > From: David Newman <davenru@...>
      > 2. Re: The Rock
      > From: new_trail_blazer

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:56:52 -0400
      > From: David Newman <davenru@...>
      >Subject: The Rock
      >
      >I guess if I had to roll a rock up a hill for all eternity, I doubt I'd
      >be smiling. Hopefully the pay would be good though. Therefore I think
      >Camus tale is ingenuine, or overly optimistic.
      >It's not what's behind you that counts, or what's in front of you, it's
      >what's inside you that matters most. - Thoreau

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:18:15 -0000
      > From: new_trail_blazer
      >Subject: Re: The Rock
      >
      >And just what do you think was inside Thoreau that enabled him to
      >follow the beat of a different drummer along with sensing that
      >virtually all those around him lived lives of quiet desperation?
      >
      >Bob M.
      >

      >--- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, David Newman
      ><davenru@t...> wrote:
      >

      >>I guess if I had to roll a rock up a hill for all eternity, I doubt
      >>

      >I'd
      >

      >>be smiling. Hopefully the pay would be good though. Therefore I
      >>

      >think
      >

      >>Camus tale is ingenuine, or overly optimistic.
      >>It's not what's behind you that counts, or what's in front of you,
      >>

      >it's
      >

      >>what's inside you that matters most. - Thoreau
      >>

      > <>
      >

      > At the the risk of sounding disingenuous, Sisyphus smiles not because
      > he is

      <>having fun, but because he has found his place - his meaning:

      > <> he has reached the existential equivalent of Nirvana. He has found
      > himself,

      in himself. I've always liked YHWH's description of Godness, "I am
      that I am"

      so it is with Sisyphus.
    • David Newman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2004
        I think Thorough was probably a pothead Bob, based on no evidence,
        except that of introversion and aversion to a life of quiet
        desperation..

        On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 6:09am, theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com
        wrote:

        > There are 2 messages in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. The Rock
        > From: David Newman <davenru@...>
        > 2. Re: The Rock
        > From: new_trail_blazer

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:56:52 -0400
        > From: David Newman <davenru@...>
        > Subject: The Rock
        >
        > I guess if I had to roll a rock up a hill for all eternity, I doubt I'd
        > be smiling. Hopefully the pay would be good though. Therefore I think
        > Camus tale is ingenuine, or overly optimistic.
        > It's not what's behind you that counts, or what's in front of you, it's
        > what's inside you that matters most. - Thoreau

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:18:15 -0000
        > From: new_trail_blazer
        > Subject: Re: The Rock
        >
        > And just what do you think was inside Thoreau that enabled him to
        > follow the beat of a different drummer along with sensing that
        > virtually all those around him lived lives of quiet desperation?
        >
        > Bob M.
        >

        > --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, David Newman
        > <davenru@t...> wrote:
        >> I guess if I had to roll a rock up a hill for all eternity, I doubt
        > I'd
        >> be smiling. Hopefully the pay would be good though. Therefore I
        > think
        >> Camus tale is ingenuine, or overly optimistic.
        >> It's not what's behind you that counts, or what's in front of you,
        > it's
        >> what's inside you that matters most. - Thoreau

        It's not what's behind you that counts, or what's in front of you, it's
        what's inside you that matters most. - Thoreau
      • new_trail_blazer
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2004
          Good Morning Dave,

          I doubt that Henry was a pothead. If that were the case I don't think
          Emerson would have put up with him as much as he did.

          And for sure I'm no pothead and I hold the very same view as did Mr.
          Thoreau.