College

  • Will Quinn
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hello all,
      I'm starting to look at colleges now, and I'm
      wondering if you guys could give me any
      reccomendations of colleges with good philosophy
      departments. I would really appreciate any assistence
      you could render.

      Thanks,
      Will

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Monte Morris
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        Will, take a look at this website.
        http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/undergrad.htm

        This site surveys philosophers on the reputation of
        schools in the US, as well as in other English
        speaking countries. The undergrad section gives advice
        to those looking for an undergrad education in
        philosophy, whereas the rankings pertain to masters
        and phd programs. However, since large schools will
        have classes taught by graduate students, knowing
        which school have the best programs will give you some
        advanced knowledge of the type of students attracted
        to the graduate programs.
        However, something that is often overlooked is that
        the most gifted intellectually does not necessarily
        mean that they are gifted teachers.

        Good luck looking at colleges!
        --Monte

        --- Will Quinn <kashmirlight@...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I'm starting to look at colleges now, and I'm
        > wondering if you guys could give me any
        > reccomendations of colleges with good philosophy
        > departments. I would really appreciate any
        > assistence
        > you could render.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Will

        > Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on
        > time.
        > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

        =====
        --Monte Morris
        Philosopher wannabe
        Japan
        "Needs to find a good quote"

      • neurom9999
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2004
          Monte,

          Just got back from spending a week with my brother in New Port
          Richey, Florida. The days went by all too quickly, and now I'm back
          on the nightshift grind at work, which immediately proceeded to suck
          the life right out of me.

          I much appreciate your thoughtful response to my post. I think
          there's a bit of synchronicity going on here. My Barbara had just
          begun to get into Thich Naht Hahn, and she had been very
          enthusiastic. And music was a major touchstone of affinity between
          Barbara and me. She had perfect pitch. The piano was her
          instrument, as well as all elements of percussion. She deepened my
          understanding and enjoyment of classical music.

          I'm going to order EITHER/OR and THE MIRACLE OF MINDFULNESS. Perhaps
          the Paley Library at Temple University in Philadelphia will grant an
          old alumnus access to their journal articles on Kierkegaard. Last
          fall I read three essays on THE MATRIX movie site: THE MATRIX AS
          METAPHYSICS, WAKE UP! GNOSTICISM AND BUDDHISM IN THE MATRIX, and
          PLATO'S CAVE AND THE MATRIX. As I said, seems like synchronicity at
          work here. I am so in tune with your suggestions, and I can't wait
          to start a new quest, using your roadmap. A twist: When the teacher
          is ready, the student appears.

          I, too, have had my problems with depression. Only reading,
          thinking, and acting seems to bring me around. Thanks again for
          occasioning a spark of enthusiasm to re-energize my lazy bones.

          ----neurom9999

          --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, Monte Morris
          <monteamorris@y...> wrote:
          > Neurom,
          > sorry to take so long in getting back--life has been quite busy
          lately, and the sad thing is, is that this is the down time for my
          job!
          > I work in Japan, and we had graduation about 10 days ago. So,
          following that, there are tons of parties and other social
          obligations. After every school year, some teachers are swapped
          about, much like off season of professional sports. So, we have to
          have parties for staff and faculty who are retiring, as well as
          parties to send off those who are moving to different positions. To
          add to this, I am officially a government employee who moves about
          various schools, and personel in the town hall also retire and move
          about at this time of the year as well. Thus, there are more parties
          for me to go to. Ugh..
          > all this and i still have a girl friend to see.
          > Well, on to your message... comments interlaced throughout..
          >
          > neurom9999 <neurom9999@y...> wrote:
          >
          > When I was a young child, and first visited the public library, I
          remember the day that I was curious, and definitely intimidated and
          awed, by two sections in that library. One wall of books was devoted
          to "Mariology," commentaries, analyses, and essays devoted to the
          > mother of Jesus. And another--larger--wall of books was devoted to
          the works of Kierkegaard, and writings about Kierkegaard. At some
          point, I took home FEAR AND TREMBLING, but I think I was too young to
          > have any possibility of grasping its import.
          >
          > (When I was younger, I lived in a small town and despite my natural
          curiousity, took the same mindset as most students--don`t want to try
          very hard and education is just a prerequisite to good employment.
          That attitude began to suffer terrible blows when I was in high
          school, and was destroyed in college. Perplexed by the attitude of
          college students, who complained about how difficult everything was,
          i was looking for a challenge. Hearing that a certain philosophy
          professor was so difficult, I took his class. It was everything I was
          looking for. After that semester, I declared a double major to
          English/philosophy and transferred out of the chemistry department,
          despite the protests of the faculty who were looking for someone with
          a theoretical approach to science. They tried to tell me that the
          courses would become more rigorous as I moved on. I told them if they
          want to retain students who are interested in the science, that they
          would have to find a way to make it more theoretical
          > from the beginning, so that they could weed out the job seekers---
          send them off to the business department, I cried!)

          > In adulthood, I actually came to existentialism through the back
          door. One of the textbooks for a college religion class I took was
          GNOSTICISM by Hans Jonas. There was an afterword in the book
          relating various parallels between the reality tunnel of the Gnostics
          > and that of the existentialists. All kinds of shared metaphors.
          The Gnostic conception of being "thrown into this world." The
          Gnostic cry, "Who has cast me into this body-stump?" And Jonas wrote
          his book before the Nag Hammadi discovery. The now-revealed world-
          view rapport between gnosticism and existentialism is startling.

          > (I came across the gnostics in a couple of classes. One was a
          philosophy of religion course I took, another was a history of
          Christianity course. However, in both classes, they were given token
          attention so I don`t know much about them. However, there are also
          some real parallels between Existentialism and some Buddhist thought,
          which I find quite interesting. Perhaps you could expound a bit more
          on the parallels of Gnostic and existentialist thought?)

          > Now, I've joined this group, as a discussion of THE SICKNESS UNTO
          DEATH has gotten underway. I'm knee-deep in Heidegger's BEING AND
          TIME, but it's been a slow read. I've done some web surfing to get a
          handle on Kierkegaard's context. Give me something easy--like
          > Finnegans Wake!
          >

          > (I read parts of Being and Time in college as a sophomore. I think
          that I certainly didn`t have enough background to attempt that sort
          of book at the time. Indeed, looking at graduate schools, I saw that
          most Universities offer a year-long course on just that book! It is
          indeed a slow read, and not a book that I would recommend to people
          just starting out on existentialism.)

          > I'm going to pursue Kierkegaard, but, I haven't yet decided whether
          to begin with EITHER/OR, or to take Kierkegaard at his word that all
          his pseudonymous/polyonymous works were a subtrefuge to "deceive men
          into the religious," and cut to the chase.

          > (With Kierkegaard, I recommend starting with Either/Or, and going
          to a public library and becoming familiar with the scholarly journals
          database. In fact, with any philosophical undertaking, I recommend
          taking advantage of journal articles. I believe that all public
          university libraries are open to the public, and they will have a
          database to search for journal articles. I`m not so certain about
          city and town libraries. I believe that all Universities participate
          in the pracitice of sharing their resources, so if a journal is not
          in the library, they can request it from another.)

          > I'm grieving the loss of my beloved Barbara, who died suddenly last
          November. I want some grounding in philosophy, in order to create
          meaning in what has felt like a posthumous existence, and to make
          decisions in my life that reflect the best within me. The vocabulary
          > of existentialism seems to speak my language. I'm very much
          concerned with authenticity. I have so many choices to make.

          > (About a year before i came to Japan, I had a tough break up in a
          rather serious relationship, although it is nothing compared to what
          you are going through. HOwever, true to my self, I of course delved
          into books. I have a natural disposition to depression that seems to
          engulf everyone in my family, but have fought it off on my own. I
          think philosophy and great amounts of self-reflection have helped me
          to achieve this, as well as music. Music is a necessary part of life,
          and Kurt Vonnegut agrees with me! Although it took years to achieve,
          I am very much aware of what is going on in my mind and am now able
          to stop certain patterns of thinking before they took hold. No need
          for medications here!

          > Although I didn`t come across these books in this particular order,
          I would recommend doing something like this. First of all, read Thich
          Naht Hahn`s `The Miracle of Mindfullness.` An excellent book about
          living in the world and becoming aware of the miracle of existence. A
          friend of mine introduced me to this book immediately after he read
          it. It can be read in one sitting, though I recommend reading a
          chapter a day and taking time to reflect on what it said. There is a
          wealth of practical advice about taking control of your mind and your
          thoughts and it really does work.

          > Secondly, Kierkegaard`s `Works of Love` is an incredibly powerful
          book that can reshape your entire outlook on life. I`ve recommended
          this book to friends, and they all agree that it is great. One friend
          said `This is the only acceptable interpretation of Christianity that
          I`ve ever seen. Oddly enough, it`s also the most eloquant.`

          > Martin Buber`s `I and Thou,` though not nearly as influential as
          the other two, is also a great book, and comes from an entirely
          different approach. Most existentialists focus on the self and self-
          improvement. Buber focuses on relationships between human beings,
          nature and God. He was Jewish, though his ideas aren`t entirely
          traditional, particularly his conception of God.

          > Another book you might want to check out, but that I haven`t read
          is Derrida`s `The Gift of Death.` I came across book reveiws of this
          while researching Kierkegaard for my senior research and it has
          generated an incredible debate within philosophy that is still
          current. It is supposed to be the most personal and religious of
          Derrida`s writings.

          > Also, for anyone wanting a grounding in philosophy, Plato`s major
          works are required reading. Many scholars have remarked that the
          history of philosophy is simply a footnote to Plato. Any amount of
          knowledge of the history of philosophy goes a long way in
          understanding what you are reading. That`s why journal articles are
          so important. Many philosophers will already have made lots of
          connections and many things will have already been debated that are
          pertinent to what you are studying. It increases one`s appreciation
          and understanding of the matter incredibly.)

          > I will be following the discussion of Kierkegaard, and I will
          certainly jump in, if I have any questions or comments. I can see
          that you are very knowledgeable about Kierkegaard and other subjects,
          and I hope to gain a better understanding of existential issues in
          the ongoing discussion, and to contribute what I can.

          > (I`m certainly looking forward to future discussions on this board.
          Take care and happy reading!)
          > Monte
          >
          > ----neurom9999

          Service.

          > --Monte Morris
          > Philosopher wannabe
          > Japan
          > "Needs to find a good quote"

        • jennyx3
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
            I went to F.I.U and its philosophy department was not so good. I
            suggest you look for a school with small classes. Small classes are
            the best for philosophy. All my large classes were nightmares. They
            were inpersonal, regimented, relied heavily on books instead of
            discussions, etc. Also, go to the school's website and check out the
            course offerings for philosophy.