Re: Graven images and other gods, Holy Sprit

  • honeybaby2012
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2004
      Dear Will Quinn,

      We know who is God, whom you call the father, and we also know Jesus
      the Messiah.
      Who is the Holy spirit then … no body in Christianity can explain…
      we believe the holy spirit is none other than Garbriel who was the
      Angel helper & messenger between Jesus the messiah and God the
      Almighty, helping him through all the way from the beginning to the
      end.

      With my best wishes.

      Quran Maeda 5: 110: Then will Allah say: "O Jesus the son of Mary!
      recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened
      thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in
      childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and
      Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel. And behold! thou makest out of clay,
      as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest
      into it, and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those
      born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold! thou bringest
      forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children
      of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the
      Clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: `This is nothing
      but evident magic.'

      Quran, [The family of Imran chapter 2: verse 41- 46]

      Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah hath chosen thee and
      purified thee, chosen thee above the women of all nations. "O Mary!
      worship thy Lord devoutly: prostrate thyself, and bow down (in
      prayer) with those who bow down." "This is part of the things of the
      things unseen, which We reveal unto thee (O Prophet!) by
      inspiration: thou wast not with them when they cast lots with
      arrows, as to which of them should be charged with the care of Mary:
      nor wast thou with them when they disputed (the point).

      Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth Thee glad tidings of
      a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus. The son of Mary,
      held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company
      of) those nearest to Allah; "He shall speak to the people in
      childhood and in maturity. And he shall be (of the company) of the
      righteous." She said: "O my Lord! how shall I have a son when no man
      hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: Allah createth what He willeth:
      when He hath decreed a Plan, He but saith to it, `Be', and it
      is! "And Allah will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the
      Gospel,
      With my best wishes.
      Honey.

      --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, Will Quinn
      <kashmirlight@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Honey,
      > Our previous diagreements stand here as well. You have stated
      these points earlier, and have not really added anything to your
      argument. The concept of the Trinity in the eyes of Christians has
      been explained already. Furthermore, you damage your argument here
      by faulty information. No where in the New Testament is Gabriel
      mentioned as the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is nothing other than
      God, and part of the Trinity.
      > As to your writing of graven images, yes, many Christians are
      hypocrites in this matter, but many are not. Do not judge all of
      Christianity or any religion by the actions of a few. Many
      Christians object to the images of Mary and Christ, precisely for
      the reason you write of.
      > Like I said earlier, Christians often betray what Christ taught,
      but just because we fail to live up to the standards of Christ
      doesn't mean that he is wrong, it merely means that his followers
      are imperfect.

      > Cordially,
      > Will Quinn
      > honeybaby2012 <honeybaby2012@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Monte Morris,
      > Thanks for your input.
      > Let us take the 1st two commandments.
      >
      > 1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me;
      >
      > 2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image;
      >
      > 3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain;
      >
      > The above are the 1st 3 of the 10 commandements I copied them from
      > a bible site.
      >
      > To me most Christians have broken the 2 most important
      commandments :

      > 1.Thou shalt have no other gods before me; was shattered with the
      > father is God, the son is God, and the holy spirit (Gabriel) is
      God.

> [...]
      > > > they have a
      > > > living Prophet and 12 disciples to guide them until
      > > > the day of
      > > > Judgement.
      > > > The Jehovas say the bible contains 50,000 errors and
      > > > Jesus is a god
      > > > or an Angel,
      > > > And Each Group is happy with what he has and the
      > > > only way to heaven
      > > > is through his sect.
      > > >
      > > > All the Above sects worship Jesus (pbuh), I do not
      > > > know if Jehovah's
      > > > witnesses worship Jesus (pbuh), but they reduced him
      > > > to a god or mere
      > > > Angel. (We believe any ordinary rightous man is
      > > > better than Angel,
      > > > because Angels do not have free will).
      > > >
      > > > Let us read what the Quran has to say about this.
      > > >
      > > > [Chapter 30-Romans 31-32. Turn ye back in repentance
      > > > to Him, and fear
      > > > Him: establish regular prayers, and be not ye among
      > > > those who join
      > > > gods with Allah, Those who split up their Religion,
      > > > and become (mere)
      > > > sects, each party rejoicing in that which is with
      > > > itself!].
      > > >
      > > > [Chapter 23-Belivers 50-56. And We made the son of
      > > > Mary and his
      > > > mother as a Sign: We gave them both shelter on high
      > > > ground, affording
      > > > rest and security and furnished with springs. O ye
      > > > messengers! enjoy
      > > > (all) things good and pure, and work righteousness:
      > > > for I am well-
      > > > acquainted with (all) that ye do.
      > > > And verily this Brotherhood of yours is a single
      > > > Brotherhood. And I
      > > > am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore fear Me (and
      > > > no other). But
      > > > people have cut off their affair (of unity), between
      > > > them, into
      > > > sects: each party rejoices in that which is with
      > > > itself. But leave
      > > > them in their confused ignorance for a time.
      > > > Do they think that because We have granted them
      > > > abundance of wealth
      > > > and sons, We would hasten them on in every good?
      > > > Nay, they do not
      > > > understand].
      > > >
      > > > In cortradiction to all the above Paul of Tarsus &
      > > > the priests are
      > > > claiming that Jesus is God.
      > > >
      > > > I live you to carfully ponder with the above.
      > > >
      > > > I ask Allah the Almighty to Guide us all to the
      > > > Truth.
      > > >
      > > > Here is my favourite and the most
      > > > interesting/scientific site:
      > > >
      > > > www.it-is-truth.org
      > > > www.it-is-truth.net
      > > >
      > > > Honey.

      > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      > > > removed]
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > > >

      > > =====
      > > --Monte Morris
      > > Philosopher wannabe
      > > Japan
      > > "Needs to find a good quote"

      > > Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.

      Service.

    • Monte Morris
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2004
        Honey,
        As I stated earlier, I don't want to get involved in a huge controversy on this subject. However, I do have some comments for you.

        > Let us take the 1st two commandments.
        >
        > 1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me;
        >
        > 2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image;
        >
        > 3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God
        > in vain;
        >
        > The above are the 1st 3 of the 10 commandements I
        > copied them from a
        > a bible site.
        --And which site might that be? Not that it's a big deal. I can go to Google.com and type in "10 Commandments," Or I can also go here to http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10c4.htm
        This is a site that takes the time to detail the 10 Commandments, give citations of where they are in the Bible, as well as states them as they appear in one of the translations. Would you like to see how the Bible, in the NRSV (New Standard Revised Translation) puts it?
        From Exodus 20:4 (though the Commandments are not necessarily presented in the order, as presented in Exodus)
        1. (Exodus 20:5) You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God.
        2. (Exodus 20:4-)You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in Heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

        This site also takes the time to analyze who the authors might have been, while taking into consideration Conservative and Liberal viewpoints. It keeps the texts in thier historical context while evaluating what they may have been trying to say. Give it a shot.
        As you can see, the Commandments as stated in the Bible are quite different than what you posted.

        > To me most Christians have broken the 2 most
        > important commandments :
        >
        > 1.Thou shalt have no other gods before me; was
        > shattered with the
        > father is God, the son is God, and the holy spirit
        > (Gabriel) is God.

        --I'll take issue with this in that the concept of the Trinity states that God is one God. While the critique I offered of the Trinity shows how a Christian could be in violation of this Commandment. If a Christian worships in good faith, and believes that thier invocations are directed to the same Being, are they in violation of this Commandment? Looking at Exodus 20:5, which states that "you shall not bow down to them or worship them" is a direct reference to Exodus 20:4, which states that one may not make any images and use them as objects of worship. It does not state anything about God, except the implication that God alone is the true God. It makes no statement on to what the nature of God is, except that God is a jealous God. The Trinity states that God is one, but of 3 parts, each inter-related. I'll come back to this in a moment.

        2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image;
        > was shattered with
        > the image of Jesus on the cross and the image of
        > Mary#12539;

        --I don't know where the phrase "graven image" comes from, but when looking at Exodus 20:4, which must be taken into consideration with Exodus 20:5, the images cannot be worshipped or bowed down to. Nothing says that one may not make an image. If that were so, we would not have any art or pictures, or anything else of this sort. God did not forbid the use of images, only the way in which they are used.
        The charge is something that goes back to the Gentiles, who were pagan and worshipped images, or false gods. As can be cited numerous times in the Old Testament, God would show his face only to the most righteous. The implication being that not all were worthy of seeing God's face, and therefore, no image was needed to worship God, as God was not like the false gods of the Gentiles.
        I would further argue that the image of Jesus on the Cross, or the pictures and statues of of Mary are not worshiped. They serve as symbols and reminders of one's faith, but not as objects of worship. Therefore, they are not, a priori, a violation of this Commandment. Again, it goes back to the way that things are USED. This line of reasoning is also invoked by Muslims who consider shreds of Mohammed's hair to be sacred. There are plenty of other examples of actions, taken by some Muslims, that might be considered worshipful of Mohammed, to the expense of Allah. Why should not these objects fall under the same category, by your reasoning? Is it because they are not "an image?" If that is the case, then couldn't such behavior be an infraction of the First Commandment, "you shall have no god before me"? What it comes back down to is one's behavior. One of the central principles of Islam is to bend one's will to Allah's. In that case, following Allah's will is more important than
        following established doctrine or dogma, if one can reasonable be sure that it is wrong. That is why there is no one Christian doctrine. That is why there is no one established Islamic doctrine, though one will always find people in both Christian and Islamic schools of thought who think they have the monopoly on truth.

        Check this site to learn how the trinity doctrine
        > originated:
        > http://cocg.org/broch1/eb031.htm

        --I visited this site, and I have to say that it is very poor. It fails to discuss at length any of the important facts, lacks citations, and analysis. Take a look at these sites if you want something of any substance. http://home.rmci.net/cbolton/TRIN.HTM (a very good article on the history of the Trinity conflict that culminated in the Council of Nicea.) What you will also find here, Honey, is that the Trinity is still a subject of debate in today's Christian churches, where not all believe in it, and many others reject outright. To say that all Christians are in violation of the first two Commandments shows a lack of understanding of Christianity.
        --In case anyone wants more information on the Trinity debate, check this site: http://hector3000.future.easyspace.com/trinity2.htm
        --To add more fuel to the fire, St. Augustine of Hippo, considered to be the 2nd most influential person to the development of Christian thought, after Paul, wrote a book called "On the Trinity." The entire book can be read on-line at : http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1301.htm
        For the record, St Augustine lived from (354-430). Given that he wrote a book of this magnitude, devoted to just the doctrine of the Trinity, shows that there was a long and rich history to the debate before the Council of Nicaea and the idea that it was just an arbitrary decision is much to simplistic of an answer.

        --Monte

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2004
          Dear Monte,

          Monte's Question:
          ……2. (Exodus 20:4-)You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether
          in the form of anything that is in Heaven above, or that is on the
          earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

          This site also takes the time to analyze who the authors might have
          been, while taking into consideration Conservative and Liberal
          viewpoints. It keeps the texts in thier historical context while
          evaluating what they may have been trying to say. Give it a shot.
          As you can see, the Commandments as stated in the Bible are quite
          different than what you posted.

          In the name of Allah Most Gracious most Merciful.
          Answer from Honey:
          Dear Monte,
          The 10 commandments are v. well known, I searched for the 10
          commandments, in google and I got the following :

          "And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God…
          ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

          TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of
          anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or
          that is in the water under the earth.'

          THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'
          Here is the site :
          http://www.10-commandments.org

          …Monte's Question:
          ………and believes that thier invocations are directed to the same
          Being, are they in violation of this Commandment? Looking at Exodus
          20:5, which states that
          "you shall not bow down to them or worship them" is a direct
          reference to Exodus 20:4, which states that one may not make any
          images and use them as objects of worship. It does not state anything
          about God, except the implication that God alone is the true God. It
          makes no statement on to what the nature of God is, except that God
          is a jealous God. The Trinity states that God is one, but of 3
          parts, each inter-related. I'll come back to this in a moment.

          Answer from Honey.
          To me worshipping is none other than praying to the worshipped being
          asking him to do things such as :
          to lift a burden, to heal the sick or to save from the punishment of
          the hell fire etc…, I call this worship, and we all know that most
          Christians worship Jesus peace be upon him or Mary may Allah be
          please with her.

          Monte's Question:
          2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image;
          > was shattered with> the image of Jesus on the cross and the image
          of> Mary#12539;

          --I don't know where the phrase "graven image" comes from, but when
          looking at Exodus 20:4, which must be taken into consideration with
          Exodus 20:5, the images cannot be worshipped or bowed down to.
          Nothing says that one may not make an

          Answer from Honey:
          If what I understood from the above is correct; then let me rephrase
          what you are saying: we are not worshiping the graven images of Jesus
          or Mary, these are only symbols but we are worshipping Jesus himself
          or Mary the person.
          I believe this is in violation of the 1st and 2nd commandments.
          The pagans will say exactly the same thing.

          http://cocg.org/broch1/eb031.htm
          …… development of Christian thought, after Paul,
          wrote a book called "On the Trinity." The entire book can be read on-
          line at :
          http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1301.htm
          For the record, St Augustine lived from (354-430). Given that he
          wrote a book ofthis magnitude, devoted to just the doctrine of the
          Trinity, shows that there was a long and rich history to the debate
          before the Council of Nicaea and the idea that it was just an
          arbitrary decision is much to simplistic of an answer.

          Answer from Honey.
          Thanks… so to this day.. for the past 2000 years, Christians still
          debate the issue of trinity.
          Here is what the quran said to people about the trinity 1400 years
          ago:

          The quran says :
          O People of the Book! commit no excesses in your religion: nor say of
          Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more
          than) A Messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary,
          and a Spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His
          Messengers. Say not "Trinity": desist: it will be better for you: for
          Allah is One God: glory be to Him: (far Exalted is He) above having a
          son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough
          is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.

          Quran 5.77. Say: "O People of the Book! exceed not in your religion
          the bounds (of what is proper), trespassing beyond the truth, nor
          follow the vain desires of people who went wrong in times gone by,
          who misled many, and strayed (themselves) from the even Way.

          Here a v. interesting story I read on the internet about an innocent
          American master degree student… who was searching for the truth, how
          the bishop or the priest told her that the trinity cannot be
          explained….. and when she ran away to the far east to embrace
          Buddhism she was told to prostrate to the statue of Buddaha…. And how
          finally God guided her to the truth and how she embraced Islam…

          http://www.islamonline.net/english/journey/2004/02/jour01.shtml

          You mentioned about the hair of Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him,
          to my knowledge the hair of Mohammed is never worshipped, but some
          people treat it as relic.

          <monteamorris@y...> wrote:
          > Honey,
          > As I stated earlier, I don't want to get involved in a huge
          controversy on this subject. However, I do have some comments for you.

          > > Let us take the 1st two commandments.
          > >
          > > 1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me;
          > >
          > > 2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image;
          > >
          > > 3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God
          > > in vain;
          > >
          > > The above are the 1st 3 of the 10 commandements I
          > > copied them from a
          > > a bible site.
          > --And which site might that be? Not that it's a big deal. I can go
          to Google.com and type in "10 Commandments," Or I can also go here
          to http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10c4.htm
          > This is a site that takes the time to detail the 10 Commandments,
          give citations of where they are in the Bible, as well as states them
          as they appear in one of the translations. Would you like to see how
          the Bible, in the NRSV (New Standard Revised Translation) puts it?
          > From Exodus 20:4 (though the Commandments are not necessarily
          presented in the order, as presented in Exodus)

        • (*~0~*)
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2004
            No offense, but what do these debates or comments about biblical
            interpretation have to do with Existentialism, as in the
            traditional philosophy of Existentialism...?
            Also, Honey I'm wondering which Existentialist philosophers you've
            read or are interested in, since this is a list concerned with
            Existetialism and all... I'm curious because your ideas or comments
            don't seem very Existential, at least in the traditional sense...

            amanda
          • Monte Morris
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2004
              Thanks for your reply. I will add some of my comments below.

              honeybaby2012 <honeybaby2012@...> wrote:

              Dear Monte,

              Monte's Question:
              #12539;2. (Exodus 20:4-)You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether
              in the form of anything that is in Heaven above, or that is on the
              earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

              This site also takes the time to analyze who the authors might have
              been, while taking into consideration Conservative and Liberal
              viewpoints. It keeps the texts in thier historical context while
              evaluating what they may have been trying to say. Give it a shot.
              As you can see, the Commandments as stated in the Bible are quite
              different than what you posted.

              In the name of Allah Most Gracious most Merciful.
              Answer from Honey:
              Dear Monte,
              The 10 commandments are v. well known, I searched for the 10
              commandments, in google and I got the following :

              "And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God#12539;lt;BR> ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

              TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of
              anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or
              that is in the water under the earth.'

              THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'
              Here is the site :
              http://www.10-commandments.org

              ---The Ten Commandments are well known, but the translations differ, depending on the version of the Bible used. I gave you a citation from the NRSV, which is the most widely accepted scholarly edition. The reason for this is that, rather than translating the Bible and trying to make it justify pre-existing doctrine or tradition, this version attempts to translate into English what was said, as opposed to what is infered from tradition or pre-conceived theological notions. Thus, I will take the translation that I gave to you out of hte NRSV over the ones from the 10 commandments site. As you can see, the wording is very different, and from these different translations, different ideas of theology and belief can develop.

              #12539;onte's Question:
              #12539;#12539;nd believes that thier invocations are directed to the same
              Being, are they in violation of this Commandment? Looking at Exodus
              20:5, which states that
              "you shall not bow down to them or worship them" is a direct
              reference to Exodus 20:4, which states that one may not make any
              images and use them as objects of worship. It does not state anything
              about God, except the implication that God alone is the true God. It
              makes no statement on to what the nature of God is, except that God
              is a jealous God. The Trinity states that God is one, but of 3
              parts, each inter-related. I'll come back to this in a moment.

              Answer from Honey.
              To me worshipping is none other than praying to the worshipped being
              asking him to do things such as :
              to lift a burden, to heal the sick or to save from the punishment of
              the hell fire etc#12539; I call this worship, and we all know that most
              Christians worship Jesus peace be upon him or Mary may Allah be
              please with her.

              --Honey, your ignorance of Christianity truly shows here. There is no Christian sect that worships Mary, and there are only a small number of Catholics who would claim that she has a direct role in the world. Catholic tradition holds in the belief of Saints who can be invoked for protection or help in certain situations, and sometimes Mary is seen as an open ear for trouble. However, most Catholics don't see these traditions as valid, and they are completely absent from Protestant and Orthodox beliefs. To make the claim that "we all know most Christians worship Jesus and Mary" is absolutely false. ALL Christians worship Jesus as they belief Jesus WAS God, but there are none who worship Mary. Whereever did you get this idea?

              Monte's Question:
              2.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image;
              > was shattered with> the image of Jesus on the cross and the image
              of> Mary#12539;

              I don't know where the phrase "graven image" comes from, but when
              looking at Exodus 20:4, which must be taken into consideration with
              Exodus 20:5, the images cannot be worshipped or bowed down to.
              Nothing says that one may not make an

              Answer from Honey:
              If what I understood from the above is correct; then let me rephrase
              what you are saying: we are not worshiping the graven images of Jesus
              or Mary, these are only symbols but we are worshipping Jesus himself
              or Mary the person.
              I believe this is in violation of the 1st and 2nd commandments.
              The pagans will say exactly the same thing.

              ---No, you completely misunderstood what I said. The images are symbols, which point to a particular belief, or serve as reminders of faith. Jesus is not worshipped as a person, but as God. Christians believe that Jesus was God. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Mary is not worshipped at all, but with some Catholics takes a special place for having brought Christ into the world so that he could atone for humanity's sins. Mary's influence is actually quite small, even in the realm of Catholicism. She is mostly talked about within mystical traditions. If they, as humans, were worshipped, then they would be in violation of the 1st Commandment. But, since they images are never worshipped, they would not be in violation of the 2nd Commandment.

              http://cocg.org/broch1/eb031.htm
              #12539; development of Christian thought, after Paul,
              wrote a book called "On the Trinity." The entire book can be read on-
              line at :
              http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1301.htm
              For the record, St Augustine lived from (354-430). Given that he
              wrote a book ofthis magnitude, devoted to just the doctrine of the
              Trinity, shows that there was a long and rich history to the debate
              before the Council of Nicaea and the idea that it was just an
              arbitrary decision is much to simplistic of an answer.

              Answer from Honey.
              Thanks#12539;so to this day.. for the past 2000 years, Christians still
[...]

              ---That's nice. So, now you know that many Christians agree with you that the Trinity is not important. So, why do you insist on debating it? I don't find much to be gained from bickering about theology. And, from my understanding of the Quran, the issue is to have a personal relationship with God, and not to be so concerned with theology. This is also true of most Christians in practice, whether they accept the idea of the Trinity or not. If you take the time to observe the actions of Christians, you won't find any evidence of the Trinity in most cases. It's mostly a matter of semantics. Most Christians will hold that God is one, but has 3 manifestations. As i stated earlier, one falls into violation of the 10 Commandments if their actions suggest that they are worshipping 3 distinct beings. YOu are taking issue with a theology, one that few practing Christians have a strong opinion on, and then denouncing all of Christianity because of it. My opinion is that your methodology is
              flawed.

              Here a v. interesting story I read on the internet about an innocent
              American master degree student#12539;who was searching for the truth, how
              the bishop or the priest told her that the trinity cannot be
              explained#12539;. and when she ran away to the far east to embrace
              Buddhism she was told to prostrate to the statue of Buddaha#12539; And how
              finally God guided her to the truth and how she embraced Islam#12539;lt;BR>
              http://www.islamonline.net/english/journey/2004/02/jour01.shtml

              ---OK. Unfortunately for this story Buddha is not a god and Buddhists don't prostrate in front of statues. In order to understand this story, you have to understand Buddhism, which is much more complex than Christianity in the vast amount of differences there are in it. In short, Buddhas are enightened humans, people who have attained Nirvana and are revered as teachers. In Japan, where this story allegedly takes place, bowing is considered a sign of respect. It is neither worship nor prostration. The statues depict the teachers of the particular school of thought. As such, when the students of the school in which one enlists, are asked to bow, it is to show respect to the person whose knowledge is being passed on to them. The statues are much like statues or leaders from other parts of the world. THey are not divine, they are not worshipped. I think it's time to learn a little about the other faiths in the world, along with the cultures and history of the areas they are in. To
              further make this case, students in martial arts in Japan will bow to pictures, whether film or a drawing or a painting, of the founder of the dojo they practice in. It's all about respect.

              You mentioned about the hair of Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him,
              to my knowledge the hair of Mohammed is never worshipped, but some
              people treat it as relic.

              --And no one worships the crucifix in Christianity, the statues of Mary or the statues of the Bodhisatvas. But that doesn't stop you from condemning them. Why, when the objects alleged to be of Mohammad are treated with such reverence, and at times, prayed to, are you free from judgement? Just a thought.