Re: Does existentialism make sense?

  • jnagy2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2003
      If we grant the assumption that there is no God (either there is or
      there isn't but for the sake of a noll hypothsis we can suspend
      belief temporarily): Does the creation story become meaningless?
      Does language cease to allow for assertions about good and evil?
      Does nuturing a loved one cease to be fulfilling? No, no and no.
      What is lost without God is certainty. Since the need for reasonable
      certainty, if not provided by God, is most likely going to be
      provided by culture and tradition, or even brute force, we have a
      paradox. Existentialism which advocates individual freedom of choice
      may increase conformity by reducing certainty. Once we see that we
      need God to justify to the world our free agency, the urgency of
      finding that God gives life purpose. Thus choice is the purpose of
      life. Not random choice but informed choice. Thus a second purpose
      is to acquire the knowledge and wisdom to choose wisely.

      Existentialism fits us with a basis for dealing with many
      cultural experiences with in one frame work. It also implies the need
      to examine other cultures for self-consistency. This effort needs to
      be accomplished by a large group of people acting as one, if we want
      to impact our world. The study of individual truth is too unwieldy.
      To make a philosophy "interesting" many people need to adhere to it.

      --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, "endorphinburst"
      <endorphinburst@y...> wrote:
      > I would like to explore some of the main positions of
      existentialism
      > to see if they're tenable. First, "existence is meaningless"
      then "one
      > must give one's own life meaning." If existence is meaningless and
      one
      > has given one's life meaning how could existence be meaningless? It
      > may that the existentialist position is that there is no meaning to
      be
      > found out in the world and that one must create one's own meaning.
      One
      > shouldn't look for some pre-existing rational purpose but choose
      one's
      > own way of being and that this choice has no rational basis.
      However,