Re: [The Existential Society] Another reply to kineticenergy

  • kineticenergy78@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2003
      In a message dated 5/18/2003 9:26:52 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
      how8lae@... writes:

      > We give it meaning and purpose. Meaning and purpose does not exist
      > outside of our thoughts or minds so without us
      > around there is nothing to give the sun or the planets any purpose or
      > meaning at all.

      here are some more of my rambling, what do you think (anyone)?
      I think this is my point. There is a purpose of the sun that we may not know.
      The sun would not cease to exist just because we stopped giving it meaning.
      and by meaning I mean a reason why. the sun does not exist for our benefit. yet
      it has some purpose, some functions, a reason for existing. or does the sun
      just exist for NO REASON at all. is that not unlikely, I mean if you think
      about the earth and the system that it is... does the rain not fall as a function
      of the rain cycle...? I think one of the main reasons that we, as humans,
      believe that everything has a purpose, is because we see this "rule" in nature.
      For example, something in motion stays in motion or something at rest stays at
      rest unless something acts on it. and this leads us to believe that everything
      may have a cause or reason or meaning.

    • Jeff Berg
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2003
        kineticenergy78@... wrote:In a message dated 5/18/2003 9:26:52 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
        how8lae@... writes:

        > We give it meaning and purpose. Meaning and purpose does not exist
        > outside of our thoughts or minds so without us
        > around there is nothing to give the sun or the planets any purpose or
        > meaning at all.

        here are some more of my rambling, what do you think (anyone)?I think you are correct.Everything is a relation of the self, this or that thing has worth because I exist to assign a value to it....if I cease....whence comes meaning?
        I think this is my point. There is a purpose of the sun that we may not know. There may be no purpose to us.
        The sun would not cease to exist just because we stopped giving it meaning. right ..but it would be "dark" for us..imagine a thing you could not see hear feel taste or smell, that would be what the sun would become to us,...essentially NOTHING....a strange "dark" existance
        and by meaning I mean a reason why. the sun does not exist for our benefit. yet
        it has some purpose, some functions, a reason for existing.Why do you think this is a nessecity or does the sun
        just exist for NO REASON at all. is that not unlikely, I mean if you think
        about the earth and the system that it is... does the rain not fall as a function
        of the rain cycle...?How is this an arguement for meaning? I think one of the main reasons that we, as humans,
        believe that everything has a purpose, is because we see this "rule" in nature.What do you compare it to....there is no unrule,the universe within which we live is an occurance and it occurs in only the way it can, how can you see a rule if everything is rule....how do you define it?
        For example, something in motion stays in motion or something at rest stays at
        rest unless something acts on it. and this leads us to believe that everything
        may have a cause or reason or meaning.I do not follow....It is a poor arguement....how does I percieve a way of things..automatically equal, this way has a meaning and purpose....I think you missed a spot.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT