Re: Suicide

  • hoppamatic
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2002
      I don't dispute your reasoning. However, there
      are people that go through emotional and
      psychological pain that quite often seems unbearable. Do you
      mean that they shouldn't commit suyicide if the want
      to to to alleviate that pain, especially if that
      pain has no end?<br><br>I, for one, am against
      purposeless suicide, but if suicide has a purpose--a viable
      purpose--then it should be the person's preference, with no
      guilt being aimed at them from others. If we respect
      all human beings as individuals to make their own
      respective choices to live, then we should respect them for
      their own respective choices to die, if they wish to do
      so. We shouldn't be one-sided in our view regarding
      life, death, and suicide. <br><br>Also, keep in mind
      that a person's decision to commit suicide is not
      selfish, but a personal preference to deal with situations
      when all other options have been exhausted. True, if
      you don't stick around and keep trying, you may not
      know whether or not there is another way, but there
      are some situations that have come to an
      unsurpassable empass, but that's beside my point. My point is
      that a person has been born with a life--a life that
      we respect--and that person, whever she or he may
      be, has the right to lead her or his life any way she
      or he wishes. Said again: suicide is not not
      necessarily an act of selfishness, but an act of PERSONAL
      PREFERENCE. True, we value all living beings, because each
      individual is unique and significant in her or his own
      right, but then if we do value each of these
      individuals, then we have to recognize and acknowledge that
      individual's freedom to be happy in her or his own way, in
      life and, yes, even in death. Who are we to judge
      others? If we really respect every individual in this
      world, then we have to respect her or his freedom to
      decide for her or himself. In short: To respect human
      life means to respect the individual's preferences in
      me wrong. I'm not saying that I support suicide, but
      I do support an individual's personal preference
      for it, if she or he so wishes. It takes more
      strength to deal with the struggles than it does to end
      the life. <br><br>Anyway, don't mean to start an
      argument. I'm just considering another point-of-view here.
      I personally believe in life and the strength that
      comes from dealing with day-to-day struggles (which,
      I'll tell you, isn't always easy). It builds
      character, but there are exceptions to every
      situation.<br><br>--Hoppamatic