What is existentialism

  • michele_track
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2001
      Yay! The first post in a REALLY long
      time.<br><br>It had been traditionally believed that essence
      preceded existance (for people). That is there was the
      idea of a human, before the human came forth. This is
      much like creating a fork (or whatever.) Before we
      make it, we have an idea of how it should look, what
      it would do, what it would be made of. That's the
      essence of it. Only afterwards do we actually create it,
      and then it comes into existence.
      Yay!<br><br>Existentialism reverses this belief. A human exists first, and
      only later, by his/her actions, gets his/her
      essence.<br><br>It's sort of like we create ourselves, who we are, by
      our actions.<br><br>I hope this explanation suffices!
      ^_^<br>Please correct me if I'm wrong.