consciousness

  • monicadus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2000
      I am too tired to write a post, but the question
      on conscioussness is rather interesting. actually
      this is what i have been reading about from a
      neurobiological point. is there something *real* behind all those
      linguistic interplays ? what is conscioussness, really? is
      it the self? then again, this means i must believe
      in the self. or maybe, mayb eis the awareness of
      being something more than a naked ape ( i am here
      abusing my naturalism....naked ape =....( )? is it Free
      will? is it th emind? is it the 'homunculus' subsiding
      to the operations of the brain? <br><br>F. crick
      bruptly affirms that C. is all a matter of neurons. he
      analyzed visual awareness and concluded that to be
      conscious of something we must be focused and retain the
      information for a sufficently long time: attention and memory
      so to speak. The Churchlands speak of a unified
      science of mind-brain and damasio of descartes' error. i
      personally believe there is no dualism in the mind, that
      body and brain are a single thing, the twisted product
      of evolution. <br><br>The point is this: from which
      viewpoint should one address C. Ethical, historical,
      economical, epistemological, metaphysical, biological? (of
      course, you already know my answer = )...it should be
      synoptical but it woul dbe based on natural
      hope you have endured your remorse...you have not
      forcely ushered me to the door...and then really, i am
      not P. Anderson...on th eopposite, i like kate moss
      =0p )