BSA Response to the Southern Asia Disaster

  • Robert Patton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2 9:20 PM
      We are all shocked to hear about the countries in Asia that were struck
      by the disastrous earthquake and resulting tsunami. Each of us wants to
      know how we can help those hit by this tragedy. It is important that
      funds be given to organizations that have had workers resident in these
      countries who are in a position to determine what the greatest need is.

      The Boy Scouts of America published a "Response to the Southern Asia
      Disaster" at http://www.scouting.org/media/tsunami/index.html which
      gives some suggestions of organizations we may want to give through.

      Also, you may wish to give through your favorite church organization.
      In my case, that would be the International Mission Board (IMB) of the
      Southern Baptist Convention. They already had missionaries and workers
      in these countries that can direct where the greatest need is. Baptist
      Press has released a number of press releases with information about
      this disaster, the work of Southern Baptists in these countries, and
      prayer requests. One of these can be found at
      http://www.imb.org/core/story.asp?storyID=2274&LanguageID=1709

      Each of these press releases include a paragraph such as this:

      "Southern Baptists and other Christians can help by sending financial
      gifts for aid through the IMB disaster relief fund. Send gifts
      designated "Asia Earthquake Disaster Relief" to the International
      Mission Board, P.O. Box 6767, Richmond, Va., 23230 (to give online, go
      to the International Mission Board's website, www.imb.org , and click on
      "Give Now" in the box highlighting the tsunami story). All funds given
      will go to relief efforts; none will be used for administrative costs."

      The administrative costs are financed through other contributions of
      Southern Baptist Churches such as the Cooperative Program and the Lottie
      Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions.

      Robert Patton