RE: [Soapstone] Youth Protection / Criminal Background Checks

  • Glenda Current
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Robert Patton <rpatton@...> [mailto:rpatton@...]
      Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 8:55 PM
      To: Soapstone@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Soapstone] Youth Protection / Criminal Background Checks

      To Adult Leaders in all programs of the Boy Scouts:

      If you are like me, you don't read the Atlanta Area Council
      newsletter, The Promise, or Scouting Magazine as thoroughly as you
      should. I ran across two articles that you will not want to miss
      reading. They impact every adult leader in the BSA.

      The first article is titled "Youth Protection and Tour Permits", from
      the December 2003/January 2003 issue of The Promise, page 7.

      The second article is titled "From the National Council: Criminal
      background checks to be part of new BSA leader registration process",
      from the January-February 2003 issue of Scouting Magazine, pages 8-9.

      Here are the articles reprinted:

      Youth Protection and Tour Permits

      Effective January 2003 both the local tour permit and the national
      tour permit application will include a requirement that at least one
      adult present during the event or activity must have completed the
      BSA Youth Protection Training. The national tour permit will
      continue to include the requirement that all registered adults must
      have completed the BSA Youth Protection Training for participation in
      a nationally sponsored event/activity.

      In support of our continued efforts to offer training to as many
      Scouters as possible and to support the requirement of having at
      least one youth protection trained adult, an Internet version of the
      youth protection training for leaders is being developed and will
      also be available for use by January 2003.

      As a quick review, national tour permit applications are required to
      be submitted for tours or trips 500 miles or over, one way. For
      tours and trips under 500 miles one-way, the local Council
      established the guidelines for when a tour permit is required. Most
      short, in-town den trips for a few hours do not require a tour
      permit; however, it is recommended that dens obtain permission slips
      from parents.

      The single highest number of injuries and fatalities in the United
      States and in Scouting is caused by motor vehicle accidents. The
      second highest number of injuries and fatalities within the Scouting
      program is caused by aquatics activities. Completing a tour permit
      application reinforces leader requirements for transportation,
      aquatics, climbing, and Youth Protection.

      For the answers to frequently asked questions regarding tour permits,
      the electronic Version of the Guide to Safe Scouting has been updated
      and is available at www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gssax.html.

      [Note: The link to the electronic version of the Guide to Safe
      Scouting is located near the bottom of the
      www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gssax.html web page. A printable version
      of The Guide to Safe Scouting all on one page is available at
      www.scouting.org/cgi/gss/viewall.pl.]

      ******************************

      From the National Council: Criminal background checks to be part of
      new BSA leader registration process

      Since Scouting's inception, we have made every effort to have the
      highest quality of volunteers as role models and mentors for youth.
      Our main priority is the safety of our youth members and
      participants, and we continually seek new ways to improve our youth
      protection procedures.

      New information technologies have greatly improved the ability of
      nonprofit organizations to accurately and reliably conduct criminal
      history record checks on applicants based upon their Social Security
      number. This offers a practical way to limit the possibility of
      individuals with a history of criminal acts against children being
      granted positions in the Boy Scouts of America.

      When used in conjunction with other youth protection strategies,
      criminal history record checks are valuable tools that discourage
      ineligible volunteers from seeking positions in the BSA and help to
      identify and screen out those who do apply.

      IMPLEMENTING A NEW SYSTEM

      BSA National President Roy S. Roberts has announced that, after
      in-depth study, and testing, the National Council has contracted with
      ChoicePoint Volunteer Select* to conduct criminal background checks
      for adult volunteer leaders nationwide.

      Effective April 1, 2003, local councils throughout the nation will
      implement this new system, or a similar system, for conducting
      criminal background checks on volunteers.

      This process will supplement the current application process,
      including the reference checks and the ineligible volunteer screening
      process. The Internet-based process will be conducted for all new
      adult volunteers in the traditional programs. If a registration form
      is completed, a background check must be done.

      A new adult volunteer application will be available in the fall of
      2003. The application will now (1) clearly advise applicants that a
      criminal background screening will be conducted; (2) require written
      consent to conduct the background check; (3) certify permission to
      use resulting reports; and (4) require a Social Security number.

      The new application includes the following statement:

      "By submitting this application you are authorizing a criminal
      background check of yourself. This check will be made from public
      record sources. You will have an opportunity to review and challenge
      any adverse information disclosed by the check."

      WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?

      The primary impact will be one of feeling more secure in knowing that
      anyone with a history of criminal conduct with a child will be far
      less likely to become a volunteer in your pack, troop, team, or crew,
      thereby making your children safer.

      It also means that a new adult application cannot be processed
      without a Social Security number and consent to conduct the
      background check (the application can only be signed by the
      applicant). Current leaders should make sure the required information
      is included on all adult applications before submitting them to the
      council service center.

      We believe that the critical importance of protecting our youth from
      abuse or violence will be recognized by all -- and that parents,
      leaders, and staff will take comfort and pride in the steps we are
      taking.

      * ChoicePoint is a public company based in the Atlanta area. It
      evolved out of the background checking systems in Equifax, which has
      a long history in this field of information expertise and has many
      Fortune 500 companies as clients.

      To go to the Soapstone Yahoo! Group website, go to:

      Sign in with your Yahoo! ID, if you have registered
      for one, for access to all the website's features.

    • Glenda Current
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        Thank you for this information. Do you know if they will protect
        the Social Security numbers when they make this information available?