President Obama's Support of the Boy Scouts of America

  • rpatton2@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2010

      Ron Coleman, the Chairman of the Jamboree Media Center and of the Soapstone Ridge District, made me aware of this statement released by the BSA of President Obama's support of the Boy Scouts of America.  I would like to pass along to you of the Soapstone Yahoo! Group the BSA's statement below my name.  Last night, right before the main body of the Shining Light Across America arena show a video message of support from President Obama was played.  I thank him for his support.

      Robert Patton

      Due to his schedule, President Obama was not able to attend the 2010 National Scout Jamboree.  But he graciously agreed to send us a video.

      In February, the President sent a letter honoring the BSA’s 100th Anniversary and his signature appears on Eagle Scout cards.  Also, he has welcomed Boy Scouts contingents in the Oval Office twice since taking office.  President Obama serves as the Honorary President of the BSA, as has every President since Howard Taft.  While each President is traditionally invited to attend the Jamboree, not every President has been able to attend the event.

      We thank the President for his effort to recognize Scouting and look forward to working with his administration as we work toward accomplishing our mission of preparing young people to become exceptional adults.

      Deron Smith

      Senior Manager, Public Relations

      Boy Scouts of America

      Office: 972-580-7848