Summer Fishing + Backpack Hiking

  • Scoutmaster T6440
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2010
      Our troop plans to get some backpack hiking done this summer, preferably to include some fishing, as we prepare for a joint troop hike on the AT in the fall.

      Q:  Does anyone have a fishing hole or two (that they're willing to share) where the boys access the fishing spot via hiking - easy to intermediate hiking?

      Ideally, we'd take off early on Saturday morning and get in some fishing on Saturday afternoon, possibly on Sunday morning before packing out.

      Thank you, in advance, for sharing.

      YiS,

      Richard Campbell, Scoutmaster
      Troop 6440 - Where Excellence is Our Way of Life
      and Every Parent is a Committee Member
      (770) 369-2501 - Mobile
      Email:   scoutmaven@...
      "I used to be a Bear...." 92-60

    • bst106@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2010
        A couple of spots come to mind. Hard Labor, Red Top Mtn. Panola Mtn has some great lakes and some hiking trails. Jody Rice will be your poc and he is a Eagle Scout. I hope this helps.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: Scoutmaster T6440 <scoutmaven@...>
        Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 12:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
        To: Soapstone Ridge District<Soapstone@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Summer Fishing + Backpack Hiking

        Our troop plans to get some backpack hiking done this summer, preferably to include some fishing, as we prepare for a joint troop hike on the AT in the fall.

        Q:  Does anyone have a fishing hole or two (that they're willing to share) where the boys access the fishing spot via hiking - easy to intermediate hiking?

        Ideally, we'd take off early on Saturday morning and get in some fishing on Saturday afternoon, possibly on Sunday morning before packing out.

        Thank you, in advance, for sharing.

        YiS,

        Richard Campbell, Scoutmaster
        Troop 6440 - Where Excellence is Our Way of Life
        and Every Parent is a Committee Member
        (770) 369-2501 - Mobile
        Email:   scoutmaven@yahoo. com
        "I used to be a Bear...." 92-60

      • Richard Campbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2010

          I’ll follow up.

          Thanks!

          Richard Campbell

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2010
            If you're interested in a warmup overnight wilderness backpacking trip, I highly recommend the Cohutta Wilderness.  There are several great campsites with nice fishing holes along the Conasauga river, and its only about 2 miles in on the Hickory Creek trail.  I was just there last weekend with a couple families and our friend's 8 year old was catching some nice size fish.
            There is Conasauga Lake nearby as well.  Or you could hike in down the Jack's River Trail from the east, but I'm not as familiar with the fishing there.

            Michael Fletcher AIA LEED AP Ecologics Design, LLC 3915 Brookside Pkwy. Decatur, GA 30034 770-315-9141 ecologicsdesign@...

            To: Soapstone@yahoogroups.com
            From: bst106@...
            Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 00:48:03 +0000

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
              Richard,

              Our Cub Scout Pack has had good luck fishing at Camp Jamison in the small coves of the lake.  Use worms.

              Sam Steger

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                Sam -

                Thank you for sharing!

                We really appreciate all the support we're receiving from our SRD friends.

                Yours in the SRD,

                - Richard Campbell, T6440

                Sam Steger wrote on 6/4/10 21:35

              • cbioust@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                  To all units:

                  I have a 10 acre fishing pond on my property plus 10 acres of waliking paths with one fire ring set up for use.  Any unit is invited to use the land for a one day event or camping.  If interested in coming over for a vist with your unit just call me at 404-805-3494.  The address is 5046 Rockbridge Road, Stone Mountain GA, 30088.

                  The fee is $5.00 per adult.  The lake is open to the public for fishing.

                  Carmen Bioust

                  We really appreciate all the support we're receiving from our SRD friends.

                  Yours in the SRD,

                  - Richard Campbell, T6440

                  Sam Steger wrote on 6/4/10 21:35

                  >Richard,
                  >
                  >Our Cub Scout Pack has had
                  >good luck fishing at Camp
                  >Jamison in the small coves of
                  >the lake. Use worms.
                  >
                  >Sam Steger

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                    Whereabouts you plan on hiking alond the AT? There's great fishing to be had in some hidden little streams, you may have to bush-whack your way to them as well.

                    Mike Rossi
                    Pack 134

                    --- In Soapstone@yahoogroups.com, Scout Maven <scoutmaven@...> wrote:

                    > Sam -
                    >
                    > Thank you for sharing!
                    >
                    > We really appreciate all the support we're receiving from our SRD friends.
                    >
                    > Yours in the SRD,
                    >
                    > - Richard Campbell, T6440
                    >

                    > Sam Steger wrote on 6/4/10 21:35
                    >
                    > >Richard,
                    > >
                    > >Our Cub Scout Pack has had
                    > >good luck fishing at Camp
                    > >Jamison in the small coves of
                    > >the lake. Use worms.
                    > >
                    > >Sam Steger

                  • Richard Campbell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010

                      Commissioner Bioust –

                      It sounds like you’ve got your own version of Cub World going there.  Wow!  :o)

                      Are season passes available?  (kidding)

                      Thank you for sharing.

                      Richard Campbell