Historical Merit Badge Program

  • rpatton2@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010

      Last Fall, the BSA announced that during 2010 four Historical Merit Badges would be offered for Boy Scouts to earn. These were merit badges offered many years ago that had been discontinued. The initial announcement said that Boy Scouts could earn these merit badges from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2010.

      As I understand it, the Historical Merit Badge Program began on January 1, 2010, but soon thereafter it was put on hold. Theoretically, Boy Scouts were supposed to wait to earn the merit badges until the hold was off.

      Good News. On April 1, 2010 (no April Fool's Joke), the BSA took the hold off the Historical Merit Badge Program. Officially, now Boy Scouts can earn these discontinued merit badges with the requirements as they were in the early years of the Boy Scouts. These merit badges are Carpentry, Pathfinding, Signaling, and Tracking. These merit badges still must be earned by December 31, 2010 (only eight months available to earn them).

      While Eagle required merit badge patches have a silver border and regular non-eagle required merit badges have a green border, these merit badges have a gold border to make them stand out as being associated with the centennial year.

      Go to the following link to get the full details on this merit badge program and follow the links found at this link for much more details.

      http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/historical_mb_program.aspx

      Look over the requirements for these merit badges. We need to find (registered) merit badge counselors for these merit badges. If you know of any qualified merit badge counselors, please pass their name and contact information to the Soapstone Ridge District Advancement Committee Chair Carol Hadley at clhadley@... .

      Finding a Merit Badge Counselor for Signaling may be the hardest to find. At one point in the late 1960's my brother Dick was the only camp staff member at Camp Gorman (and maybe Camp Emerson, too) of the Bert Adams Scout Reservation who had the knowledge to teach the merit badge. He now lives in Virginia.

      Does anyone know if any of these merit badges will be offered at any Atlanta Area Council Summer Camps?

      Robert Patton

      Assistant District Commissioner

      Primary Group Moderator, Soapstone Yahoo! Group

      Owner and Group Moderator, Soapstone-CS Yahoo! Group

      Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 134

    • Richard Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010

        Robert –

        The Historical Merit Badge Program looks extremely interesting.

        Q:  Will the Scout Shop have booklets to work from or do we use the BSA web site + the PDF downloads of the respective Historical MB Booklets?

        Thanks, again, for sharing.

        YiS,

        Richard Campbell

        Troop Guide, WB 92-66

[...]

        Look over the requirements for these merit badges. We need to find (registered) merit badge counselors for these merit badges. If you know of any qualified merit badge counselors, please pass their name and contact information to the Soapstone Ridge District Advancement Committee Chair Carol Hadley at clhadley@dhr. state.ga. us .

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010

          Richard,

          I do not know if the Scout Shop will have any support literature available for purchase. I do know that the BSA does not plan to publish modern style merit badge pamphlets for these historical merit badges. I think these merit badges are mostly going to be supported by the BSA website and the PDF format literature that you can download.

          One of the links on the BSA website, the Historical Merit Badge Implementation Plan, gives suggestions for how to find counselors, what regular merit badges are related to these four merit badges, and suggestions for how the program can be implemented. This link is:

          http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/historical_mb_program/implementatiom.aspx

          I do not know if the Atlanta Area Council Advancement Committee has any plans to offer extra support for the Historical Merit Badge Program.

          Note: The US Scouting Service Project website ( http://usscouts.org/advance/changes/advchanges10a.asp ) points out that the requirements for the Pathfinding and Tracking Merit Badges are different than what the BSA published before the Historical Merit Badge Program became official and active on April 1, 2010. If you have downloaded the requirements prior to April 1, 2010, make sure and download the correct requirements.

          For all those who need it again, the "Home" page for the Historical Merit Badge Program seems to currently be:

          http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/historical_mb_program.aspx

          YiS

          Robert Patton

          WB 92-18