Scout Leader Training

  • Charlie Joyner
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
    Soapstone Scouters,

    On Thursday evening of next week a new Scout Leader Training (SLT) course will begin.  If you have not completed SLT or if it has been some time since you were trained, please take this opportunity to sharpen your skills for working with a Scout Troop.  Our district offers one of the most fun and informative courses available in the area.

    The first meeting will begin at 7:30 PM Thursday, February 11.  Meetings will follow for the next three weeks on February 18, February 25 and March 4.  The scheduled two hour meetings will be at Troop 70's Scout room in the rear ("gym" building  at St. Timothy UMC 5365 Memorial Drive Stone Mtn.   Training is capped off with an outdoor experience March 12-14 at Bert Adams Scout Reservation.

    The cost of the training is $20 and there will be expenses for food that is associated with the course.  The participants will receive a copy of the Scoutmaster's Handbook and a wealth of other take home material.

    This course is necessary for Scoutmasters, assistants, committee members and interested parents to fully understand the Scouting program.  You may want to recommend this course to Webelos parents and leaders so they will be prepared for the transition to Boy Scouts.

    To register for the course or for additional information email Charlie Joyner at charlie.joyner@...
  • Charlie Joyner
    Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2011
      Scouters,

      At the request of several members of our district, the SLT indoor classes will be held on Wednesdays instead of Thursdays as originally announced.  The new dates are February 9. 16, 23 and March 2.  The indoor program will be at St. Timothy United Methodist Church 5365 Memorial Dr. (near the intersection of Rays Road).

      In these classroom settings, Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, and Troop Committee members will receive "leader specific training" required for their position and will understand how the program is to be delivered to the Scouts.

      The associated outdoor program will be held on the weekend of March 18 - 20 at Camp 175 on Lake Allatoona.  The outdoor program will begin at 9:00 AM Saturday and conclude around noon on Sunday.  This will cover the "Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills" that is required of Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters.

      In the near future the completion of both of these courses will be required to maintain registration as a Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster.  Please take advantage of this training opportunity.

      To receive course credit a Scouter must be in attendance for all of the classes.  The equivalent of one week night session's make up can be arranged.

      The cost of the course is $20.00 due on arrival for the first class.  To register send an email to charlie.joyner@...

      Please pass this info to others in your unit that need the training.

      Charlie

    • Charlie Joyner
      Message 3 of 18 , Jan 26, 2011
        Scouters,

        About three weeks ago I posted a reminder about Scout leader Training and asked that individuals planning to take the course register with me.  To date only two people have registered.  That is not enough to conduct a training class.

        Participation in a four week course may seem a burden.  It is worth the time and effort.  It provides the opportunity for insightful learning.  Something that a quick lecture does not offer.

        The class is scheduled to start in two weeks on February 9th.  If you plan to attend and have not registered, please email me at charlie.joyner@... and let me know - soon.

        If the schedule does not suit you, please let me know that. We will see if we can offer the class in a format that is better suited to everyone's needs.  I think that should be a "conversation" on the Yahoo Group. Just hit reply to this email.

        Thanks,
        Charlie
      • Charlie Joyner
        Message 4 of 18 , Jan 30, 2012
          Scouters.

          This is a reminder that Scout Leader Training will begin this Thursday 2/2.

          We will meet for four consecutive Thursday nights from 7:30 - 9:30 PM at the Scout room at St Timothy United Methodist Church (5365 Memorial Dr Stone Mt) .  The Scout room is in the back of the gym.  There is a sign for the Troop in the parking lot across from the cell phone tower.  Enter by that sign and come downstairs. Plan to arrive early the first night to complete your registration.  Cost is $20.00.

          The out door portion (ITOLS) of the training will occur the weekend of March 3 at Bert Adams Scout Reservation.

          You are required to have both parts of this training if you are or plan to be a Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster.  Troop Committee Training is included in the classroom portion.  If you can not make one meeting we can make that up.  If you miss more than one meeting, you will need to retake the course.

          Please let me know if you plan to attend with an email to charlie.joyner@...  If you have problems finding us Thursday my cell is 404-630-5389.

          Charlie
        • Charlie Joyner
          Message 5 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
          If you know someone who needs to attend Scout Leader Training please forward this message to them.

          Beginning Thursday January 31 and continuing for the following three Thursdays, Soapstone Ridge will offer Scout Leader Training.  The details are given on the attached flyer.  This training is required for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters.  We are including training for Troop Committee members.  Committee members are encouraged to participate in the outdoor training, but it is not required for their position.

          All former participants in SLT are welcome to be part of the staff for this course.  We will have a staff meeting this Thursday, January 24 at 7:30 PM at St. Timothy UMC.  Please come to the meeting or contact Charlie Joyner or Greg Cowan if you are interested in being on this year's training team.

          YIS
          Charlie Joyner

        • Charlie Joyner
          Message 6 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
            Scouters,

            If you plan to take this year's SLT course and have not let me know of your plans, please send me an email today!  My direct email address is charlie.joyner@...

            I want to have enough handouts and books ready for distribution Thursday night.

            Thanks
            Charlie

          • Charlie Joyner
            Message 7 of 18 , Jan 26, 2014
              Scouters.

              This is a reminder that Scout Leader Training will begin Thursday week, 2/6.

              We will meet for four consecutive Thursday nights from 7:30 - 9:30 PM in the Scout room at St Timothy United Methodist Church (5365 Memorial Dr Stone Mt) .  The Scout room is in the back of the gym.  There is a sign for the Troop in the parking lot across from the cell phone tower.  Enter by that sign and come downstairs. Plan to arrive early the first night to complete your registration.  Cost is $20.00.

              The out door portion (ITOLS) of the training will occur the weekend of March 8 at Bert Adams Scout Reservation.

              Message 8 of 18 , Nov 14, 2014
                This year's Scout Leader Training will be held at St. Timothy UMC, 5465 Memorial Dr. Stone Mt. GA beginning Thursday January 29th 2015 and continuing on each of the following 3 Thursdays.

                ITOLS will be held at Bert Adams on March 7 & 8 2015.

                If you are interested in taking the course please email me at charlie.joyner@... to add your name to the list .  This class is recommended for second year Webelos Leaders who plan to help in their son's Scout Unit.  It is also for any other new uniformed Scout Leader or Committee member.

                More info will be posted concerning the course as we get closer to the time for the program.

                Charlie

                The classes are SM and ASM Leader Specific Training, Committee Training and Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills