New Mexico early flight season dates

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2011
      The Photographic Arts Society of Roswell made a trip down to Rattlesnake Springs
      in Eddy County last Saturday the 19th, and found some new early flight season dates
      for New Mexico.  Most of the Odonata at the springs were photographed by Clifford Powell,
      Bill Flynt, and Patricia O'Bryon

      Rattlesnake Springs are managed by the National Park Service and are located
      southwest of Carlsbad, New Mexico in the valley below the Capitan Reef where
      Carlsbad Caverns National Park is located.  Among the species they photographed
      on Saturday March 19th were:

      Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum)
      American Rubyspot (Hetaerina americana)
      Kiowa Dancer (Argia immunda) New early date for New Mexico.
      Aztec Dancer (Argia nahuana) New early date for New Mexico.
      Tule Bluet (Enallagma carunculatum) New early date for New Mexico.
      Painted Damsel (Hesperagrion heterodoxum)

      I had been invited to tag along, but stayed in Roswell to work on household chores.
      However, I did manage to find a single male Mexican Forktail (Ischnura demorsa)
      along the Spring River here in Roswell Saturday afternoon.

      Robert Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2011
        I'm so envious!
        Serious storm here - Odes greatly delayed!
        That Kiowa Dancer ties the earliest date I have recorded in the greater
        Southwest: 3/19/2004 in Arizona.
        Cheers!!
        Kathy Biggs

        dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911