Re: [SoWestOdes] Jan. 09, 2011: Wild Horse Pass, Maricopa, AZ.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2011
      Pierre,

      Thanks for the continued information. It seems clear that Variegated Meadowhawks breed (or at least occur) through the winter in southern Arizona, but Common Green Darners apparently don't. That's quite interesting to me, as I'm trying hard to understand the movements of those two species. Perhaps the darners breed when they get to their wintering grounds and then all die off, but the meadowhawks seem not to be doing that. If they're not emerging during the winter, they are living a long time! So it would be interesting to know if anyone ever found tenerals or very young immatures during the winter.

      I am assuming the damselflies continue to emerge during the winter, but perhaps they are living a long time!

      Dennis

      dennispaulson@...