27 Nov. 2010: Gila Co., AZ.
- November 27, 2010
Warm Springs and Blue River, Gila Co., AZ
1 - 3:30 PM
65 F, sunny, clear, calm/light breeze
We visited two spots on the San Carlos Indian Reservation, Gila Co., AZ.
(NOTE: a recreation permit (purchased at Bashas', San Carlos) is
required to access these locations.)
The best observations were of
(1) KIOWA DANCERS, with 100+ individuals, including many pairs in tandem
and some ovipositing, along a short stretch of stream (there were
probably many more downstream) at Warm Springs;
(2) TARASCAN DANCERS, A. tarascana along the Blue River.
Both records provide new late flying date for Arizona. See
http://azdragonfly.net <http://azdragonfly.net/> for information on
locations (Location tab) and pictures (News tab).
Warm Springs: 9 species seen:
- Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: ~10
- Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 3
- Aztec Dancer, Argia nahuana: 3+ males
- Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: ~5
- KIOWA DANCER, Argia immunda: abundant; 100+, including pairs
in tandem and ovipositing. New late flying date for Arizona
- Blue-ringed Dancer, Argia sedula: 5-10
- Amethyst Dancer, Argia pallens: 2
- Great Spreadwing, Archilestes grandis: common
- American Rubyspot, Hetaerina americana: ~20
Blue River: 3 species seen:
- Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: ~10
- TARASCAN DANCER, Argia tarascana: 2 males. New late flying
date for the SW
- Great Spreadwing, Archilestes grandis: ~15
Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]