Striped Saddlebags

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
      An exciting call last nite informed us that the Oritis, of Bishop, have
      found a new location for dragonflies this month and they have been
      finding Striped Saddlebags, there in INYO county, at this new site on
      and off since Aug. 22nd. Yesterday they were finally able to get a
      distant shot and they sent copies to me this morning. I've uploaded them
      into the County Records photo file which is sorted by species common
      name. Although the photos don't show the side stripes, they were seen on
      the bug, and on others seen nearby that day and other days.

      Ron Oriti took the distant shots and he credits his wife, Barbara, with
      finding the perched Saddlebags, and also for noticing that they were
      something different while he was aiming the camera for close-ups of Red
      Saddlebags earlier that week. They say that all 3 CA Saddlebag species
      are at this site. They saw pairs of Striped Saddlebags ovipositing even.

      The site will not appear on any maps as it is 'new' in that it is the
      rewatering of the Owen's River, which is near to this site, that has put
      water into a series of small lakes and marshes.
      Take the exit off 395 to the East for* Black Rock Fish Hatchery* which
      is about 9 miles north of Independence and south Tinemaha Reservoir;
      turn east at the sign, before getting to the hatchery which is about 1
      mile in, turn south and follow any of the dirt roads for about 2 miles
      and the roads will converge on a series of lakes and marshes. Names of
      the lakes include Twin Lakes, but we don't recall the other names from
      their phone call last nite.

      http://www.trails.com/topo.aspx?lat=36.92993&lon=-118.23204&s=100&size=s
      This site might have some useful detail, but the Oritis caution that
      conditions there are NEW since the rewatering of the Owens in 2008(?).
      They had been to this area prior to 2008 and it was bone dry.

      dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2010
        Here is some more accurate information on the Striped Saddlebags sent in
        by Barbara Oriti. BTW: Pierre Deviche reports seeing them in Phoenix
        area yesterday....
        ----

        I have seen 6 different individuals, and knew right away that this was
        somebody new for us. ... Here is the information you want.

        The coordinates for the Upper and Lower Twin Lakes is ---

        latitude 36.55 North, and 118.12 longitude.

        These lakes, along with several others, plus assorted ponds, canals, and
        small waterways do not show up on older maps because they are all fairly
        new, having to do, I'm sure, with the rewatering of the Owens River,
        which began in December 2006. Cattails, tules, and other plants are
        rapidly taking over............some of the smaller lakes already have
        little or no open water. I got the coordinates from a brand new map of
        the area, and I will later double check on Google Earth and let you
        know if there is a difference. Too busy to check at this time.

        These lakes are on the east side of Hwy 395, about two thirds of the
        way from Big Pine to Independence. Take the signed road to the Black
        Rock Fish Hatchery, toward the Inyo Mountains. A couple hundred yards
        or so before reaching the hatchery, turn right on a large side road. It
        is paved for a short distance until the bridge crossing the LA aqueduct,
        then becomes a dirt road. There are lots of roads. Stay on the most
        heavily traveled of the dirt roads to stay out of trouble. Do not get
        off of them, for the ground is very sandy, and cars can easily become
        stuck. The main roads are fine for passenger cars. The Twin Lakes are
        about 3 miles or so from the turn off from the fish hatchery road.

        I first saw the Striped Saddlebags at Upper Twin Lake, on August 22. A
        single individual flew past me, and I wondered who he was immediately,
        for he was just different. I thought "Red Saddlebags" yet that wasn't
        quite right, and as he was flying away, I never got a good look.

        A few minutes later, I reached a large 'pond' --- it's not really a
        pond, but just a smaller area of the lake that is enclosed by cattails,
        with emergent vegetation. I stopped to scan the area with my
        binoculars. Shortly, a tandem pair of large dragonflies flew past. I
        again thought "Red Saddlebags" but the markings on the wings were wrong,
        and the colors seemed slightly different. Also, it looked like there
        were stripes, or at least some kind of markings on the side of
        the thorax. They were flying low and fairly fast, mostly 2 to 4 feet
        above the water, and occasionally hovering briefly, or dipping down
        closer to the water.

        I began wondering if these could possibly be Striped Saddlebags, yet
        they are only known from way down in the southeastern corner of the
        state. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to get photos, and these were
        badly needed.

        September 1, I saw a single one of these, this time at Lower Twin Lake,
        again flying away, but not before I got a good look at him in
        binoculars, so I knew he was one of these possible Striped SBs.
        Shortly I found one sitting high in a tree, on the topmost branch. Now
        I could see that the 'saddlebags' mark was very narrow, and just along
        the abdomen. I had Ron take a look, and he confirmed what I saw. He
        was able to take a number of photos, and though they are distant, they
        are good enough to make a positive ID.

        Went to the upper lake, and I again saw another possible one, flying
        high. So, I have seen 5, and possibly more of these Striped
        Saddlebags. I think it is most significant that they were not just
        individuals that either flew in or were blown in by winds, but that
        there was a *_tandem pair_!!*

        Barbara Oriti

        dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911