California Gulch, Santa Cruz County, AZ

  • DOUGLAS DANFORTH
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2010
      Rich Bailowitz, Tom Deecken and I visited California Gulch yesterday. This is a varied stream with a large willow lined pond at its upper end,a heavily canopied stretch in the middle section and a more open sunny stretch that runs right to the Mexican border. We ended up with 35 species for the day with highlights being one Turquoise-tipped Darner and 6-8 Claw-tipped Bluet. The Claw-tipped Bluet are having a good season in SE Arizona with from one to multiple numbers at some other ponds and tanks in Santa Cruz County. The list:

      Hetaerina americana(American Rubyspot)-common
      Archilestes californica(California Spreadwing)-1
      Archilestes grandis (Great Spreadwing)-12
      Apanisagrion lais (Black and White Damsel)-26
      Argia extranea (Spine-tipped Dancer)-common
      Argia hinei(Lavender Dancer)-8
      Argia lugens(Sooty Dancer)-1
      Argia nahuana(Aztec Dancer)-2
      Argia pallens(Amethyst Dancer)-12
      Argia plana(Springwater Dancer)-3
      Enallagma civile(Familiar Bluet)-hundreds
      Enallagma praevarum(Arroyo Bluet)-common
      Enallagma semicirculare(Claw-tipped Bluet)-6-8
      Ischnura cervula(Pacific Forktail)-2
      Ischnura demorsa(Mexican Forktail)-common
      Telebasis salva(Desert Firetail)-hundreds

      Anax junius(Common Green Darner)-common
      Rhionaeschna multicolor(Blue-eyed Darner)-common
      Rhionaeschna psilus(Turquoise-tipped Darner)-1
      Erpetogomphus lampropeltis natrix(Serpent Ringtail)-1
      Erythemis collocata(Western Pondhawk)-100+
      Erythrdiplax basifusca(Plateau Dragonlet)-20
      Libellula croceipennis(Neon Skimmer)-4
      Libellula luctuosa(Widow Skimmer)-100+
      Libellula saturata(Flame Skimmer)-common
      Orthemis ferruginea(Roseate Skimmer)-1
      Pachydiplax longipennis(Blue Dasher)-50+
      Paltothemis lineatipes(Red Rock Skimmer)-11
      Pantala flavescens(Wandering Glider)-1
      Perithemis domitia(Slough Amberwng)-16
      Perithemis intensa(Mexican Amberwing)-8
      Pseudoleon superbus(Filigree Skimmer)-6
      Sympetrum corruptum(Variegated Meadowhawk)-common
      Tramea lacerata(Black Saddlebags)-6
      Tramea onusta(Red Saddlebags)-20

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee, AZ
    • douglas danforth
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2012
        Rich Bailowitz and I checked out California Gulch yesterday. The Bidens was in full bloom attracting hundreds of butterflies so butterflies outnumbered odonates 58 species to 24. The Slough Amberwing (Perithemis domitia) represents a  new late date. I think the Tezpi Dancer (Argia tezpi) is the first reported for this year in AZ and the Fiery-eyed Dancer (Argia oenea) have been hard to find this year.

        Great Spreadwing-Archilestes
        grandis-30
        American Rubyspot-Hetaerina americana-25
        Black and Whie Damsel-Apanisagrion lais-4
        Spine-tipped Dancer-Argia extranea-40
        Lavender Dancer-Argia hinei-20
        AztecDancer-Argia nahuana-20
        Fiery-eyed Dancer-Argia oenea-12
        Amethyst Dancer-Argia pallens-5
        Springwater Dancer-Argia plana-1
        Tezpi Dancer-Argia tezpi-2
        Familiar Bluet-Enallagma civile-8
        Arroyo Bluet-Enallagma praevarum-12
        Painted Damsel-Hesperagrion heterodoxum-6
        Mexican Forktail-Ischnura demorsa-10
        Desert Firetail-Telebasis salva-30

        Common Green Darner-Anax junius-1
        Blue-eyed Darner-Rhionaeschna multicolor-1
        Plateau Dragonlet-Erythrodiplax basifusca-3
        Flame Skimmer-Libellula saturata-12
        Mexican Amberwing-Pertihemis intensa-28
        Slough Amberwing-Perithemis domitia-1
        Red Rock Skimmer-Paltothemis lineatipes-4
        Filigree Skimmer-Psuedoleon superbus-4
        Variegated Meadowhawk-Sympetrum
        corruptum-14

        Doug Danforth
        Bisbee,AZ

      • douglas danforth
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 5:22 AM
          Yesterday  April 7th, Rich Bailowitz and I went into California Gulch. For those who have never been there, the gulch has three sections with water. The bottom section is a running stream through willows of about a mile and reaches the border fence with Mexico. The middle section is probably only a hundred yards and includes a couple of long almost totally shaded pools. The upper section is a long lake lined with willows on one side. These three sections provide a wide variety of habitats and makes for quite a diversity of odonates. Noteworthy sightings on this trip included 3 TURQUOISE-TIPPED DARNERS (one at each section of the gulch) and 5 CERULEAN DANCERS on the bottom section of stream. This is another new locality for this amazing advance into Arizona of this species.  We had 24 species for this windy day however the wind was only a factor when we reached the lake at the upper end of the gulch in the early afternoon.

          American Rubyspot -30
          Black and White Damsel -9
          CERULEAN DANCER -5
          Spine-tipped Dancer -100+