dry pond

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2010
      Hello,

      Sorry for any `cross posting...

      I wanted to share an interesting observation:

      When we arrived at our summer home near Mt. Shasta (CA), we were
      dismayed to find our liner pond nearly drained. That was very
      disappointing, and due to range cattle damage. When we arrived, the
      areas in the pond that formerly had a build-up of soil 1-3" deep and
      plant roots, was still moist but cracking. By 2 hot days later, the mud
      was now dry and cracked. I wanted to 'save' any plant roots that I
      could, so one morning I threw a bucket of water up from the pond that
      was slowly being refilled (difficult to refill as we are totally off the
      grid). I was amazed when within a minute or two, two /Aeshna /type
      darner nymph crawled up to the surface of the mud! Since ours is a liner
      type pond, they couldn't have burrowed very deep, and berms built up
      below the liner made it so they couldn't burrow down to where the small
      amount of water was retained. But, it was obvious to me that this was
      their survival 'tool' in the case of a pond drying up. I don't have
      Corbett's (sp?) book with me, so maybe this is a well known phenomenon
      with Darners, but it was interesting to me!

      Another interesting tidbit from this 20X30' pond:

      We've been having 12-spotted Skimmers (/Libellula pulchella/) emerging
      each day....and one morning, I found one of our local chipmunks snacking
      on a teneral one! And here I thought it was only seeds they were
      searching for when they ran about the pond edges!!

      Cheers!!
      Kathy Biggs