Randomness and Biodiversity (small dragonfly tie-in)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010
      I'm pasting in am email to the Odonata-L listserve from Christopher E. Hill that is interesting....

      -----

      I found this informal question and answer interesting:

      http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/57451/

      The researcher found that small perturbations in the starting
      conditions of artificial "ponds" (300 gallon tanks, really) often led
      to those ponds supporting completely different communities (including
      dragonflies!) seven years after founding. The perturbations are what
      might happen completely randomly in the wild. There's more to it than
      that - worth a read. And there's a link to the formal scientific
      publication of the results.

      History matters, is the interesting conclusion.

      This reminds me very much of some conversations Fred Sibley and I had
      about the patterns he saw across 40 (actual) ponds, and how the
      sequence of colonizing odonates in newly dug ponds seemed at first
      predictable, and then, on followup, deeply mysterious.

      Chris

      Christopher E. Hill
      Biology Department
      Coastal Carolina University
      Conway, SC 29528-1954
      chill AT coastal.edu
      http://ww2.coastal.edu/chill/chill.htm

      I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I
      didn't know. - Mark Twain

      dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911