Re: [SoWestOdes] 3 Damselfly photo's from Colorado.

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2009
      I wanted Jerry to post his Colorado photographs here on SoWestOdes for the group to take a look at for a more definitive ID.   His photo 345 looks closer to Argia plana than Argia vivida (which it could be) and A. plana has only been reported from counties in southwestern Colorado and not out on Colorado's plains east of the Rocky Mountains which would make it interesting.

      His photo 351 could be a Argia plana or vivida, but the small antihumeral marking above the humeral stripe along with the higher lateral markings on the abdomen and two small anterior markings on segment 8 gives it the appearance of the female Argia immunda found here in eastern New Mexico.  The Kiowa Dancer (Argia immunda), interestingly, has not been reported in Colorado.

      His last photo 379 is of the Great Spreadwing (Archilestes grandis) which has already been reported in Arapahoe County, Colorado.  I hope some of you in the group can make a more accurate identification of his damselflies.

      Robert Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico