western odonate book errata

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009
      Hello, all.

      I have been compiling a list of the errors (both of omission and
      commission) in my new book Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West
      (Princeton University Press, 2009), and I decided it was about time to
      make them public, with a mea culpa thrown in. I really did strive for
      an error-free book, but this proved an impossible dream. Here are the
      corrections to be made, and I don't doubt there are others:

      DRAGONFLIES AND DAMSELFLIES OF THE WEST, by Dennis Paulson

      ERRORS AND OMISSIONS

      p. 66 - Black Spreadwing - should have said paraprocts of moderate
      length (shorter than Northern, longer than Spotted). Also, a minority
      of Black Spreadwings are spotted under the thorax much like Spotted.

      131 - "Western Firetail" at top of page should be Desert Firetail.

      154 - Spine-tipped Dancer - "Springwater has lower expanded part of
      humeral stripe with smaller rectangle (in comparison)." Not true,
      stripe essentially the same.

      164 - Springwater Dancer - �Common southwestern darner� should read
      �dancer.�

      274 - Should be female subgenital plates (so far the only typesetting
      error I have found).

      279 - Russet-tipped Clubtail - range should be extended to far
      southern Nevada.

      287 - Stated that ringtails and snaketails probably do not overlap in
      distribution; quite incorrect.

      344 - Ocellated Emerald - listed south to New Jersey in error; only
      known south to Massachusetts.

      354 - Mocha Emerald - female abdomen tip incorrect, a Fine-lined
      Emerald by mistake; should look more like Williamson�s.

      381 - Neon Skimmer - range should include most of southern California.

      445 - Red-faced Dragonlet - both sexes have spot of color at hindwing
      base, somewhat variable in size.

      507 - Antillean Saddlebags - description should read Male: Eyes dark
      reddish-purple; face brown, top of frons metallic purple. Thorax dull
      reddish-brown, abdomen bright red with small black spots on top of
      S8-9. Cerci very long and black, red at extreme base. Basal wing veins
      red.

      I very much appreciate the efforts of those who have pointed out some
      of these errors: Allen Barlow, Jerry Hatfield, Jim Johnson, Martin
      Reid, Zach Smith, Gary Suttle, and Jim Walker.

      And as always, sorry for the multiple posting. One post is
      embarrassing enough!

      dennispaulson@...