new books/website

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hello all,

      Please pardon any cross-posting.

      I want to announce two forthcoming western USA dragonfly guides:

      1. A major revision of my very first book, "Common Dragonflies of
      California, A Beginner's Pocket Guide."
      I've been sold out of the 2nd printing of this book for several years now.
      The new book covers more species (100) and has all new photos and
      updated flight data, etc.
      It should be available May 1st. It includes damselflies and features
      photographs by Ray Bruun and others.

      2. Dennis Paulson's book, "Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West"
      (Princeton Press) should be available by May 1st also.
      I am SO looking forward to having this book and will be selling it and
      my revised book (and others) on my California Dragonflies website. The
      website is as of today also newly revised (link in signature below).

      As a 'special' to folks in the dragonfly discussion groups, we're
      running a sale price on the books and if you preorder both my book and
      Dennis's together via mail or fax, we'll give you free shipping. There
      is only one way we could do that if you wanted to use PayPal and that
      would be for you to send me an email saying you want to order the books
      and then I could send you a request for that amount. (It won't work to
      just click on the links on the website).

      I began my Calif. Dragonflies website back in 1997. It's grown, and
      become a bit cumbersome over the years, so I have totally streamlined
      it. I apologize to anyone who was using the old website....there is a
      link to the old site now at the very bottom of the new entry page,
      however that site will no longer be maintained. When I started the
      California Dragonflies website, there were not even images of all
      species available to link to, and in order to get images up of most
      Calif. species, I had to provide links to images taken in other states.
      Back then Blair Nikula's Cape Cod site was one of the only sites with
      images of many species. This is no longer the case and the new
      streamlined Calif. website primarily features images taken in California.

      A report on the CalOdes discussion group listed the first Libellula on
      the wing today (Flame Skimmer) - of course that was in San Diego, but I
      do believe we'll be able to see our beloved dragonflies on the wing
      again soon!