Libellula pulchella (Twelve-spotted Skimmer) without black wing tips

  • dougofbis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27 6:19 PM
      Three days ago in Sonora Rich Bailowitz spotted a skimmer he called
      Libellula fornesis(Eight-spotted Skimmer). It lacked black wing tips
      and we had just seen two pullchella. I took several photographs and
      Richard collected the specimen. This would represent the first record
      for the state of Sonora. But,back at the motel room the photos and
      the specimen didn't look right. The last white area on the wing was
      basal to the pterostigmata and the last black spot did not extend
      down to the the wing margin. In typical fornesis this last white
      spot extends totally underneath the pterosigmata and the black spot
      extends down almost all the way to the wing margin. Not visible in
      the photo but visible in the hand was a slight yellowing of the wing
      tip where the black would normally be. We concluded that this was an
      aberrant pulchella which was confirmed by Dennis Paulson.

      With pulchella turning up in so many places this fall we may run into
      more of these individuals lacking black wing tips and confusion with
      forensis may result.

      Photos of the pulchella from sonora are posted in photos under Doug
      Danforth.

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee,AZ