Phoenix area odes, 8/6/08

  • Steve Rovell
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008
      Greetings -

      First of all, thanks to those who sent me ideas on locations to look
      for odes. My son Julian (10) and I used two of them today; Rio
      Salado Restoration Area and Gilbert Water Ranch. Tomorrow I hope to
      visit Seven Springs. Here are my sightings for today:

      Rio Salado Restroation Area (7:30 am - 9:00 am)

      Red-tailed Pennant, 6+
      Commmon Green Darner, 4+
      Mexican Amberwing, 1
      Desert Forktail, 2
      Black Saddlebags, 3
      Blue Dasher, many
      Western Pondhawk, many
      Familiar Bluet, 3

      Gilbert Water Ranch (9:45 am - 11:00 am)

      Red-tailed Pennant, 11
      Common Green Darner, 10+
      Mexican Amberwing, 10+
      Blue Dasher, many
      Western Pondhawk, many
      Desert Forktail, 8
      Black Saddlebags, 4
      Red Saddlebags, 7
      Blue-ringed Dancer, 1
      Widow Skimmer, 1
      Common Whitetail, 2
      Flame Skimmer, 2
      Roseate Skimmer, 2
      Wandering Glider, 5
      Spot-winged Glider, 3

      At Gilbert, I also noticed a small powder-blue damsel (reminded me of
      a young Western Forktail). Is this Mexican Forktail?

      Steve Rovell
      Marina, CA