Black Setwings on Bitter Lake

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2008
      I spent the day out on the Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge tagging along with Jeff Lubchansky while he was photographing dragonflies. The highlight of the day was finding several Black Setwings (Dythemis nigrescens) on the big Saline Oxbow. Only a few Black Setwings have been found in New Mexico (Chaves and Eddy Counties). Below is the list of the Odes we found on the refuge today.

      Damselflies:

      American Rubyspot
      Paiute Dancer
      Blue-fronted Dancer
      Powdered Dancer
      Aztec Dancer
      Springwater Dancer
      Familiar Bluet
      Desert Forktail
      Mexican Forktail
      Black-fronted Forktail
      Rambur's Forktail

      Dragonflies:

      Common Green Darner
      Blue-eyed Darner
      Eastern Ringtail
      Sulphur-tipped Clubtial
      Black Setwing
      Western Pondhawk
      Seaside Dragonlet
      Comanche Skimmer
      Bleached Skimmer
      Widow Skimmer
      Flame Skimmer
      Blue Dasher
      Wandering Glider
      Spot-winged Glider
      Desert Whitetial
      Variegated Meadowhawk
      Black Saddlebags
      Red Saddlebags

      Yesterday we has observed the Filigree Skimmer, Roseate Skimmer, and Desert Firetail along the Spring River in downtown Roswell.

      Robert Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico