Wild Horse Pass Stream, Phoenix, AZ, 03/29.

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2008
      Hi All:

      I spent a couple of hours this morning (03/29; sunny and clear, light
      breeze, ~80 F) along the Wild Horse Pass stream just S. of Phoenix,
      AZ. Ode activity is definitely picking up with 12 species seen – see
      some pictures at:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/pdeviche/WildHorsePassOdes032908?authkey=Q6EdkwpMQ9Y

      - FAMILIAR BLUET: Abundant; pairs in wheel; ovipositing;
      - DESERT FORKTAIL: Common; pairs in wheels;
      - RAMBUR's FORKTAIL: A few;
      - CITRINE FORKTAIL: 2 M + ~ 5F;
      - BLUE-RINGED DANCER: 1 M
      - POWDERED DANCER: 1 (?? Early flight record for AZ?)
      - AMERICAN RUBYSPOT: 1 M
      - SPOT-WINGED GLIDER: 2+
      - COMMON GREEN DARNER: ~10; pairs in tandem; female ovipositing
      - ROSEATE SKIMMER: 1 M
      - WESTERN PONDHAWK: 2 F + ~5M; 1 F ovipositing
      - VARIEGATED MEADOWHAWK: ~10; pairs in tandem

      Cheers,

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2008
        I think it's interesting that both Common Green Darners and
        Variegated Meadowhawks are breeding at the southern end of their
        range in the US right now. This clearly isn't the same scenario as
        "migrate south in fall, then breed; offspring migrate north in
        spring, then breed." It's as if spring breeding occurs throughout the
        latitudinal range (don't know about Mexico), and that certainly
        confuses the issue. Where and when did the ones that are breeding
        down there now emerge?

        Dennis

        dennispaulson@...