Bitz IV

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28 10:11 AM
      Hi everyone,

      We're already heard from ~13-14 folks who are interested in attending
      the blitz - some from NY, AZ, OR, and of course CA!

      Here's the text I just sent in to "Argia" - the DSA newsletter:

      *CalOdes/DSA-West Dragonfly Blitz IV*

      All Californians, and any other folks who are interested in our western
      fauna are invited to the 4th Annual CalOdes/DSA West Dragonfly Blitz!

      Our plans are to hold the Blitz immediately after after the DSA Annual
      Meeting's Post Trip in Oregon (DSA July 31-August 4, then post trip).

      Our Blitzes take place in different areas within California each year.
      This is our year to blitz the north. We have one county in Northern
      California that is terribly
      under-censused: it's also a gorgeous forested and infrequently visited
      area - Trinity County.

      Trinity County is a 'hole' in many of the California species'
      distribution maps, and also a place with many of the beautiful species
      not found in more Southern (or Eastern) climes.We will add species to
      the Trinity County List, get better acquainted with the mountain
      species, and have fun! There would even be
      a slight chance of finding a state record, but that won't be the main
      focus. Some of us will have been 'studying' the Darners and such that
      occur just north of California in Oregon at the DSA meeting.

      Plans are centering on the weekend of August 9-10, staying in the
      Weaverville area where we can access the Trinity River, the lagoons of
      Lewiston and Claire Engle Lakes and nearby creeks and ponds. Some folks
      will be arriving a day early and some will be staying a day late. Those
      who stay late might want to head further north into Siskiyou County to
      look for Darners, or further south in Trinity Co. along the Trinity
      River to the Mad River. Plans are still forming.

      We haven't decided exactly where we'll meet or stay yet, but that news
      will be forth coming and will be emailed to the CalOdes group and anyone
      who sends an email to Kathy Biggs (bigsnest@...) saying they are
      interested. Typically the group has camped out, with a few members
      choosing to stay in the 'luxury' of a nearby motel.

      We SHOULD be able to find LOTS of whitefaces, emeralds (Ringed!),
      darners, meadowhawks and some of the mountain skimmers & clubtails such
      as Chalk-fronted Skimmer (it'd be a new county record but is surely
      there) and Sinuous Snaketail, some of the mountain damsels and, part of
      the fun is
      always the surprises! At the same time, we'll be adding to our knowledge
      of California Odonata distribution.

      Please let us know if you're considering coming. Prior Blitzes have been
      a LOT of fun, and it's wonderful to get to put faces with names.

      Cheers!! Kathy & Dave Biggs