Wild Horse Pass, Phoenix, AZ, 01/19/08

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2008
      Hi All:

      I spent a couple of hours today (01/19; 1:30-3:15 PM; sunny, calm, 65
      F) along the Wild Horse Pass stream just S. of Phoenix, AZ, where four
      species were present:

      - FAMILIAR BLUET: 3;
      - VARIEGATED MEADOWHAWK: ~10 (all but one males);
      - AMETHYST DANCER: 1M (?AZ early flight date?);
      - Presumed RAMBUR's FORKTAIL: 1 F.

      Photos posted at:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/pdeviche/WildHorsePass011908?authkey=WP93udMU3wM

      Thanks for Dennis Paulson and Tim Manolis for commenting on the
      Forktail pictures. This individual, rather similar to another female
      photographed at the same site 01/11, is unusual in several respects.
      According to Dennis "if it's not a hybrid, it's a very weird/aberrant
      whatever it is". Comments welcome!

      Best wishes,

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2008
        Hi Pierre and all,

        Yes, that is way early date for AZ; old date was 3/13/AZ.
        But it's even early for the whole SouthWest, old date was from NM -
        2/21/rl (rl=Robert Larsen).

        Hope this means it's gonna be an early season! ;-)