Variegated Meadowhawks in winter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2008
      In answer to a post/query by Dennis Paulson I checked my Sightings
      websites for winter records that might include behavior, etc.

      *February 3, 2007*

      *_Riverside Country _*__

      *Bob Miller* *and Paul Jorgensen*

      Dos Palmas Preserve

      Caught a glimpse of a larger sized Dragonfly and it's shadow but it promptly disappeared. No clue... A bit later we went by small pool of water

      with an area about 50 by 20 feet and only about eight inches deep in a very open habitat. I caught sight of a smaller dragon face on.

      Paul Jorgensen and I hoped out of the vehicle and got on it right away. Male *Variegated Meadowhawk.* Lost it. Spotted it again and it was in

      tandem with a female and ovipositing in the pond! They separated after about two minutes and the male came back to the perch where we

      originally saw it. I would call that an official start for my ode season!

      *February 8, 2006* *_San Mateo County_* *Alvaro Jaramillo* #I had a *Variegated Meadowhawk *go over, flying north during today's heat wave. This was in Half Moon Bay,
      San Mateo. Several butterflies going north as well, maybe mix of ladies and California Tortoiseshell.

      *February 9, 2006* *_Alameda County_* *John Hall, David Edwards* Sunol Regional Wilderness *** *California Darner /Rhionaeschna californica/* [new early date, old early d
      ate - 02/22/03] -1 *Variegated Meadowhawk* 4

      *February 10, 2006* *_Sonoma County_* *Dave and Kathy Biggs* Laguna Wetlands Park, Sebastopol Dave and I went to go look for Pacific Forktails at the today, and the
      sightings yesterday bolstered our spirits. But, alas, we saw no Forktails. Dave did see one *Variegated Meadowhawk* though.
      .......*_Sacramento County_* *Tim Manolis* Went to Sacramento Bar along the American River Parkway from about 1:40-3:50 this afternoon.
      Saw two *Variegated Meadowhawks*(appeared to be mature males) and 1 immature (but not teneral) female **Pacific Forktail /Ischnura cervula/*.
      One other teneral damselfly seen briefly in flight could not be found to ID.

      Lots of reports from then on that year....

      *January 23, 2005 *
      San Diego County
      Greenwood Cemetery in South San Diego
      *Doug Aguillard
      */Ischnura cervula /Pacific Forktail* - a female**
      Otay Lakes in Chula Vista *
      Variegated Meadowhawks* - 6 mating

      Most Januarys folks are reporting seeing single odes in dry areas...

      Other years are probably similar, but I need to start dinner!