Kearny Lake and San Pedro River, AZ, 11/10.

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
      Hi All:

      Eyal Shohat and I spent yesterday (11/10) visiting Kearny L. (= KL,
      near Winkelman) and the San Pedro River (= SP) at Dudleyville, AZ,
      where we clocked in 23 species. A few scenery and ode pictures are
      posted at:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/pdeviche/Arizona111007?authkey=7afKQTZRIK8

      Species observed:

      - FLAME SKIMMER: A few at both locations
      - RED ROCK SKIMMER: 2, KL
      - RED-TAILED PENNANT: 1 M, KL
      - VARIEGATED MEADOWHAWK: Common, KL, with pairs in tandem &
      ovipositing; a few, SP
      - ROSEATE SKIMMER: A few at each location. Mostly males.
      - MEXICAN AMBERWING: ~15, KL; 1 M, SP
      - * STRIPED/ANTILLEAN SADDLEBAGS: 1 flying, KL. Note: Antillean
      Saddlebags was observed in Nov. 2005 and 2006 at the same location, so
      this species cannot be excluded.
      - BLUE DASHER: 2M and 1 F, KL
      - FILIGREE SKIMMER: 1, SP
      - PALE-FACED CLUBSKIMMER: ~5, SP
      - BLUE-EYED DARNER: A few, KL
      - COMMON GREEN DARNER: A few, KL; 1, SP
      - WHITE-BELTED RINGTAIL: 2, SP
      - FAMILIAR BLUET: ~20, KL; 1 M, SP
      - * CALIFORNIA DANCER: 1M, SP (? AZ LATE FLIGHT RECORD)
      - SPRINGWATER DANCER: 1 F, SP
      - * SOOTY DANCER: 1M, SP (? AZ LATE FLIGHT RECORD)
      - BLUE-RINGED DANCER: A few at both locations
      - FIERY-EYED DANCER: 2, SP
      - DESERT FIRETAIL: ~15, KL
      - RAMBUR'S FORKTAIL: 2, KL
      - GREAT SPREADWING: ~10, SP
      - AMERICAN RUBYSPOT: Widespread, SP.

      Cheers,

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2007
        Hi Pierre and all,

        Yes, those are both new late flight dates for AZ, and the Sooty Dance is
        a new late flight date for the greater SW.

        Too bad you didn't get to see more of the Striped/Antillean Saddlebags!

        We saw only nymph this last week in Mt. Shasta area.