Odonata Central

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hello all,

      The NEW Odonata Central is up and running. :-)
      Please take some time to acquaint yourself with it (intro. letter and links in message below).

      I will be sending a message soon to CalOdes, SoWest Odes and to individuals who have found new distribution records. If your record does not contain an "OC Record #", then please submit your record to OC. I will send a link for that function in my email.

      Thanks!!
      Kathy

      ------------------------------

      At long last the new OdonataCentral is now up and running. It can be
      reached by any of the following url's : www.odonatacentral.org,
      www.odonatacentral.net, www.odonatacentral.com

      Please note that if you linked to the old site using
      http://odonatacentral.bfl.utexas.edu the link will most likely be broken.
      We are on working on redirections from this domain, but they may not be
      possible.

      The site has been completely overhauled and now uses php with Oracle as its
      database backbone. This provides for a much more efficient navigation and
      delivery of information.

      Some of the major improvements and additions to look for include, but are
      not limited too:

      (1) a visual redesign

      (2) MyOC. This feature allows users to login and use customized
      interfaces. Much like MyAmazon or MyEbay, the site remembers you and keeps
      track of favorite locations and will allow you to easily track your record
      submissions, or if you are a Record Administrator, manage the records in
      your area. We plan to implement much more with this, including a set of
      preferences that will allow you to choose scientific, common or both names
      to be used throughout the site.

      (3) The site is now worldwide. The interfaces built will allow for the
      addition of records from anywhere. Features such as checklists, field
      guides and the map distribution viewer are no longer limited in scope (just
      in the underlying records!).

      (4) MyRecords interface is now much improved in terms of tracking and
      submitting. Submitted Records are automatically plotted and seen by all,
      but tagged as "Pending" until they are vetted. Users can change their
      records at anytime as long as it is still pending. A batch submission
      process has also been developed.

      (5) OdonataDistributionViewer - this has been completely overhauled. We
      are still using GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth as our engine, but a completely
      new application (like none I have seen) has been developed. You can search
      by taxa or geographic area. It is world-wide in scope. You can select to
      view Google Maps or Satellite and choose to overlay (transparently or
      opaquely) U.S. county boundaries on the map. We are still facing speed
      issues with this, but to overcome much of that, we have implemented a
      "clustering" mechanism. Basically, at broad zoom levels where there is a
      lot of data, data is clustered instead of showing individual points. You
      wouldn't be able to discern the points anyway, so this helps speed things
      up. We are still looking at additional ways to improve speed with this
      resource. Records are indicated as clusters or points and pending or
      accepted. You can filter by the latter to increase data integrity. We are
      also now plotting data at their actual localities. Dot Map data (indicated
      as blue dots on the map) is plotted at county centers, but all other data is
      plotted at the actual lat/long of collection. This will allow users to
      generate checklists and seasonality histograms for specific areas. You can
      also link to a specific species/geographic distribution and include them on
      your own web pages.

      (6) Because OC has gone world-wide, we are now hosting a world catalog.
      This is derived from several sources, but primarily from the Schorr et al.
      list. I have integrated Rosser Garrison's New World list into this however,
      and have always defaulted to his list when there are discrepancies. As a
      result, you can now view/search either the World or New World catalogs.

      (7) I've added a "Resources" tab that will eventually contain all sorts of
      useful information. For now, there are subtabs that include the Taxonomic
      Catalogs, OC Membership Directory, Taxonomic Notes, bibliography and Odonata
      links.

      (8) There is now a tab for "Publications." You can search and view the
      DSA publications Argia and Bulletin of American Odonatology. If you are a
      current DSA member, all of these publications will be available to you. If
      you are not a member, then you will not be able to view the latest 3 years
      of Argia or 3 volumes of BAO.

      (9) I have also added a tab for "Societies." This has information
      presently on DSA and the Odonata Survey of Texas.

      Please change links on your web pages to reflect the new url,
      http://www.odonatacentral.org

      We have worked hard to make the site compatible across platforms and
      browsers. Not the following however. Although the site looks gorgeous in
      Safari, it appears that the Safari browser has an actual bug when dealing
      with file uploads and there may not be a solution. This has been reported
      by others as well, basically it just hangs sometimes when trying to upload
      files (which would apply to the record submission process on
      OdonataCentral).

      I welcome comments and feedback about the new improved site. Please
      remember OdonataCentral is a community-based server and project. Its
      success depends on users like you. Thanks for looking at the new
      OdonataCentral!

      John

      John C. Abbott, Ph.D.
      Curator of Entomology, Texas Natural History Collections
      Section of Integrative Biology
      1 University Station #L7000
      The University of Texas at Austin
      Austin, Texas 78712 USA

      Office Phone: (512) 471-5467
      Lab Phone: (512) 232-1896
      Fax: (512) 475-6286
      http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/jcabbott
      http://www.odonatacentral.com
      Email: jcabbott@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
        Some of you have experienced problems uploading your new distribution
        records to Odonata Central (OC).

        You need to login before you can submit a record and you must be a
        registered user to login. If you are not, please click on the
        "Register" link in the top right of the home page, or click here
        http://www.odonatacentral.org/index.php/UserAction.add
        This is much the same as using Amazon.com, etc, etc. However, you will
        NOT be sent any spam!

        Then fill out the form and you will be a registered user. At that
        point, you can login and submit your records.

        I think it would be a good idea for all of us to become a registered
        user, and now, when not many of us are seeing Odes, might be the right
        time! OC has the capacity to become a mighty tool for all us, creating
        distribution maps that are site specific for all species, and other
        special functions, tools.

        Thanks for using OdonataCentral and please let me know if you have any
        problems with the site.