Boyce Thompson Arboretum - central AZ

  • chris kline
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
      Greetings,

      Had a special Sunday Odonate walk today. People-wise had a relatively low turn-out of nine, but that could be because we usually do them on Saturdays, the fact that its a bazillion degrees out here, or that we had a bird walk about two hours before. But anyways, had a good time od'ing.

      Species list:
      Flame Skimmer - one
      Blue Dasher - many
      Roseate Skimmer - three
      Mexican Amberwing - many, many (on one patch of bulrushes I counted 16!)
      Wandering Glider - many (probably double as many as I saw yesterday at our lake)
      Red Saddlebags - one (new to the BTA checklist, although quite common at Kearny Lake 20 miles south)
      Blue-eyed Darner
      Common Green Darner - many
      Rambur's Forktail - three
      Desert Firetail - three (but I suspect more were tucked in the bushes unseen)

      Since Queen Creek is completely dried up, I didn't even try going there. Hence the reason for so few damsels.

      Another Ode walk this Saturday (July 7) at 9:30 AM. And then Kathy Biggs will be leading the walk on Aug 4. I'm hoping for some good early monsoon rains to get the creek running by August.

      chris

    • chris kline
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4 3:23 PM
        Hi all,

        Had a tremendous dragonfly walk today. Twenty-seven human participants not counting the crack team of experts leading the walk. I felt like I was among "Ode-Greatness" with Kathy and Dave Biggs, Rod Miller, Pierre Deviche, and Pete Moulton all in attendance.

        As for the bugs, we had 24 species which may have been a record day. I'll need to look back through my records. Nonetheless, a very good day!

        Flame Skimmer
        Neon Skimmer
        Blue Dasher
        Red Rock-skimmer
        Roseate Skimmer
        Filigree Skimmer
        Black Saddlebags
        Red Saddlebags
        Mexican Amberwing
        Spot-winged Glider
        Wandering Glider
        Blue-eyed Darner
        Common Green Darner
        Giant Darner
        Gray Sanddragon
        Amethyst Dancer
        Lavender/Springwater Dancer - The expert group could not come to concensus!
        Blue-ringed Dancer
        Sooty Dancer
        Arroyo Bluet
        Rambur's Forktail
        Desert Firetail
        Great Spreadwing

        Also had a mystery dragon at the lake which stumped the collective braintrust and proved too elusive to catch.

        Re: the Filigree Skimmer, I think a part of the reason Kathy came out was to see the Filigree Skimmer. The group had momentarily split into two with the front group in Queen Creek, while the back group was still on the main trail about 50 yards behind. The front half saw the Filigree, unfortunately Kathy was in the back half!

        A great time was had by all. Not only did I enjoy seeing all of Odes, but our team of experts were a lot of fun to hang out with and learn from. Ode people are good people!

        Oops, 'bout forgot, on Friday Jerrell Daigle and Ed Lam reported a Plateau Dragonlet in our Herb Garden. Couldn't find it today unfortunately. THat is a new species for our checklist!

        chris

        If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done.
        Chris Kline
        Education Director
        Boyce Thompson Arboretum
        37615 U.S. Highway 60
        Superior, Arizona 85273
        (520) 689-2723
        work schedule: T-Sa 7am - 4pm

      • chris kline
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
          Hi all,

          Sorry for the delay. I left for Portal, AZ about 30 minutes after finishing the dragonfly walk. Had a nice crowd of about 30 people. Did not get a good chance to confer with Pete Moulton who had the other half of the crowd, so Pete chime in if you have ohters to add to the list! Here is what my group saw:

          Flame Skimmer
          Blue Dasher
          Roseate Skimmer
          Mexican Amberwing
          Straw-colored Sylph
          Variegated Meadowhawk
          Blue-eyed Darner
          Common Green Darner
          Sooty Dancer
          Dusky Dancer
          Rambur's Forktail
          Desert Firetail

          Disappointingly absent was the Giant Darner that has been patroling Queen Creek. In the matter of three days the section of Queen Creek that runs through the Arb. has dried up. There are some deeper pools to the east well away from trails. Perhaps the GD was hanging out there.

          chris

        • chris kline
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20, 2007
            We had our first ever BioBlitz on Saturday Sept 15. Rich Bailowitz and Doug Danforth were kind enough to come up to do the butterfly and dragonfly survey. Below is the Odonate results.

            Black Saddlebags 3
            Red Saddlebags 1
            *Black Setwing 1
            Blue Dasher 2
            Flame Skimmer 20
            Mexican Amberwing 27
            Neon Skimmer 4
            Roseate Skimmer 14
            Variegated Meadowhawk 8
            Straw-colored Sylph 1
            Spot-winged Glider 2
            Pale-faced Clubskimmer 4
            Blue-eyed Darner 2
            Common Green Darner 3
            Giant Darner 1
            Arroyo Bluet 1
            Familiar Bluet 39
            Amethyst Dancer 3
            **California Dancer 7
            Dusky Dancer 30
            Lavender Dancer 10
            Sooty Dancer 5
            Springwater Dancer 20
            Desert Firetail 8
            Rambur's Forktail 8

            * new to BTA checklist
            ** confirmation of previous observation
            25 species, 224 individuals

            chris

            "Who knew simply being content was the dream come true!" - John Reuben
            Chris Kline
            Education Director
            Boyce Thompson Arboretum
            37615 U.S. Highway 60
            Superior, Arizona 85273
            (520) 689-2723
            work schedule: T-Sa 7am - 4pm

          • chris kline
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2007
              Greetings,

              Had our final dragonfly walk of the season this morning. Initially it appeared it was going to be a total bust! At the start of the walk it was 60 degrees and cloudy. The first half of the walk netted us 2 Common Green Darners. Period.

              However, by the time we got to the lake, the sun had come out and the temp was up to about 70 and the odes were a flyin'! So the list below reflects what we saw after 11am from the lake down the main trail to the demonstration garden.

              Flame Skimmer - a few
              Neon Skimmer - one in the butterfly garden
              Blue Dasher - a few at the lake
              Red Rock-skimmer - one in the rocks above Queen Creek
              Roseate Skimmer - a few at the lake
              Mexican Amberwing - a few at the lake, one in the Demonstration Gdn.
              Spot-winged Glider - one patroling the Demonstration Gdn
              Variegated Meadowhawk - a bunch everywhere! The most common ode on the walk.
              Blue-eyed Darner - several at the lake
              Common Green Darner - several at lake and two in Queen Creek
              Familiar Bluet - one at lake

              Also had a mystery forktail at the lake. I didn't have my camera but several walk participants did so I'm hoping someone will send me a pic. Am leaning towards a Black-fronted Forktail. Didn't look right for Rambur's or Desert.

              chris

            • chris kline
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
                Greetings all,

                Had our dragonfly walk last Saturday.  I was actually rather pleased.  I was quite concerned after my Weds. recon mission turned up only five species and about 10 individuals!  Had 17 human individuals, inc. four youngsters, turn-out for Saturday.

                Here is Saturday's list, all at Ayer Lake except the firetails, which were at our mini-oasis in the demonstration garden, and the springwater which was at the little pretend creek in the demo garden.

                Flame Skimmer
                Blue Dasher
                Mexican Amberwing
                Red Saddlebag
                Bue-eyed Darner
                Amethyst Dancer
                Springwater Dancer
                Arroyo Bluet
                Mexican Forktail - female.  Had a male forktail in hand as well but I am now not confident what it was.  The shoulder stripe was very thin, about the same color as the rest of the thorax (sort of turquoise color).
                Desert Firetail

                All in all, a good outing.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Greetings,

                  This morning's dragonfly walk went well.  18 human participants.  Sunny, temps in the 90's.  Overall a good outing!

                  Flame Skimmer
                  Blue Dasher (many!)
                  Filigree Skimmer (one at legume Garden pool)
                  Black Saddlebags
                  Mexican Amberwing (many!)
                  Wandering Glider
                  *Spot-winged Glider
                  Blue-eyed Darner
                  Common Green Darner
                  Sooty Dancer
                  Dusky Dancer
                  Rambur's Forktail
                  Desert Firetail

                  * Found this guy stuck in the skylights.  Initially we were not sure if it was alive, but when we pulled him out of the sky light he fell into three pieces.  Did not know if I could legally count him or not!?!

                  Also, as we entered the Demonstration Garden a LARGE (Darner-size) ode flew overhead, about twenty feet above us at a high rate of speed.  I thought I saw a "club-tail" on it, so I'm not convinced it was a Giant Darner, but it was certainly large enough to be one.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
                    Greetings,

                    Pete Spino was visiting from San Diego yesterday and left me a list of the odes and leps that he saw.  BTW, Pierre Deviche will be leading the dragonfly walk this Saturday, 9:30AM.   As you can see from the list, odes are finally picking up here so it should be a good walk!

                    Flame Skimmer
                    Neon Skimmer
                    Mexican Amberwing
                    Black Saddlebags
                    Red Saddlebags
                    Desert Whitetail
                    Filigree Skimmer
                    Blue Dasher
                    Wandering GLider
                    Common Green Darner
                    Giant Darner
                    Familiar Bluet
                    Arroyo Bluet
                    Variable Dancer
                    Dusky Dancer
                    Desert Firetail
                    Rambur's Forktail

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2008
                      Good morning,

                      Had our final dragonfly walk of the season last Saturday.  Sorry for the delay getting this out, have been out of town.  All in all, a good morning of ode-ing.  Will pick it up again in either May or June.  I'm leaning towards June.  May was pretty slim pickins this year.

                      Flame Skimmer
                      Neon Skimmer
                      Blue Dasher
                      Variegated Meadowhawk