guidance requested

  • Kathy and Dave Biggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2004
      Hi all,

      I am about to send the SW guide to the printer, but before I do, there
      is a small change I'm considering:

      On each of the heading pages for the Dragonflies (Anisoptera) and for
      Damselflies (Zygoptera) sections there is a sketch by Barbara Chasteen
      that I plan to use again, thus keeping continuity between the CA and SW
      guides. It has been suggested that I should consider drawing a dotted
      line between the anterior and posterior halves of the abdomen (e.g.
      perpendicular to segment 5), and write male on top of it and female
      underneath it, to indicate that the illustration is a construct and does
      not depict any real dragonfly having both male and female structures.

      I want to know if anyone had found these drawings confusing and whether
      you feel the change would make the drawings more useful. I'm a bit
      afraid that it might 'clutter' the page too much, esp. for the damselfly
      page.

      I'd really appreciate as much input as possible. If you don't own my CA
      guide, you can see the sketches on the CA Dragonflies website at
      http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest/Pond/dragons/dragon-families.html
      and
      http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest/Pond/Lists/CA_damsels.html
      (just scroll down a little ways).