RE: [SoWestOdes] Cluff Ranch Pond 3, Graham Co., AZ

  • Ann Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
      I think the differences between the two sites are that the Arizona records
      are unverified or historical for both counties and thus are not in the
      Odonata Central database. Pierre, I hope you got a photo. I have a feeling
      that would be the first verified state record.

      Ann Johnson

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
        Pierre and all,

        This is still one of the interesting taxonomic question in North
        American odonatology - one species or two of blue pondhawk! A good
        case was made by Nick Donnelly for lumping the two species, but the
        picture is not entirely clear, and field workers anywhere at the
        western edge of the Great Plains (and perhaps into Arizona) can help
        by carefully photographing individuals that you think might be the
        two different species at the same place. Much better yet would be to
        collect them, so they can be measured and all characteristics
        checked, but if you're not into collecting, then good photos would be
        of value, especially of females. Photos from directly above would be
        the best, as they show the abdomen shape best.

        Dennis

        dennispaulson@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007