Teh name game

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 12:39 PM
      Apologies for cross listing to those who also belong to the Odonata-L group.

      Below is info that is interesting:
      On May 29, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Dennis Paulson wrote:

      Dear Michel,

      Hagen applied many strange and often undecipherable names to odonate
      species. For example, Sympetrum corruptum (corrupted), Sympetrum
      illotum (dirty), Dromogomphus spoliatus (plundered), Brechmorhoga
      mendax (lying, deceiving), Enallagma praevarum (unsteady), Enallagma
      ebrium (drunken).

      Sid Dunkle and I, in our checklist of North American odonates, tried
      to figure out the origin of these names but failed in many cases.
      For Libellula incesta, we wrote "incestuous, perhaps alluding to
      looking like a hybrid between other closely related species," but
      this was pure speculation. Hagen never explained the etymology of
      any of his names, and they will remain unexplained. Who, for
      example, were Irene, Elisa, and Amanda, all species names coined by him?