Boyce Thompson Arboretum - central Arizona

  • chris kline
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2007
      Just finished our first dragonfly walk of the season. Had roughly 45 people turn out which is a tremendous turnout. Sometimes with large crowds its hard to keep track as far as a checklist of ode species we see, but I'll give it my best shot here:

      Springwater Dancer

      Thats it!

      Temps were in the high 60's to start the walk (remember, in AZ its a dry heat!!) and by the end of the walk temps were up to the low 70's with a 10 m.p.h. breeze. During the past week we've seen Desert Firetails, Filigree Skimmers, and Flame SKimmers pretty regularly along Queen Creek, in addition to the Springwaters. Today just the Springwaters. At the Lake I've been seeing a darner or two by late morning; today, nothing.

      The weather around here has been weird. Have had similar weather for the first two butterfly walks also. Cool morning breezes keeping critters hunkered down. We'll try again the first Saturday of June!

      But the Puya is blooming in the Cactus Garden, so got lots of oohs and ahhs over that!

      chris

      If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done.
      Chris Kline
      Education Director
      Boyce Thompson Arboretum
      37615 U.S. Highway 60
      Superior, Arizona 85273
      (520) 689-2723
      work schedule: T-Sa 7am - 4pm

      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2007
        Chris,

        Sounds like the very first dragonfly walk I ever led. Must have been
        around 1998-99. Showed up and the parking lot was FULL. I wondered if
        there were some other event, but no, we had ~50 folks show up - in the
        fog! The group thinned out quickly - but I think we finally saw a Vivid
        Dancer.

        Looking forward to meeting you this summer!!

        chris kline wrote:

        >Just finished our first dragonfly walk of the season. Had roughly 45 people turn out which is a tremendous turnout. Sometimes with large crowds its hard to keep track as far as a checklist of ode species we see, but I'll give it my best shot here:
        >
        > Springwater Dancer
        >
        > Thats it!
        >
        > Temps were in the high 60's to start the walk (remember, in AZ its a dry heat!!) and by the end of the walk temps were up to the low 70's with a 10 m.p.h. breeze. During the past week we've seen Desert Firetails, Filigree Skimmers, and Flame SKimmers pretty regularly along Queen Creek, in addition to the Springwaters. Today just the Springwaters. At the Lake I've been seeing a darner or two by late morning; today, nothing.
        >
        > The weather around here has been weird. Have had similar weather for the first two butterfly walks also. Cool morning breezes keeping critters hunkered down. We'll try again the first Saturday of June!
        >
        > But the Puya is blooming in the Cactus Garden, so got lots of oohs and ahhs over that!
        >
        > chris
        >

        >If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done.
        >Chris Kline
        >Education Director
        >Boyce Thompson Arboretum
        >37615 U.S. Highway 60
        >Superior, Arizona 85273
        >(520) 689-2723
        >work schedule: T-Sa 7am - 4pm

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • chris kline
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2008
          Hi all,

          Went out leping today and figured I may as well look for odes as well as leps. Things are still pretty slow but did see the following:

          Queen Creek
          Flame Skimmer
          Gray Sanddragon
          Filigree Skimmer
          Blue-ringed Dancer

          Ayer Lake
          Blue-eyed Darner

          First dragonfly walk is Saturday May 3 with yours truly. Supposed to be warm weather between now and then. Maybe the bugs will pick-up! Oh, also saw a Gilbert's Skink sunning on a rock in the creek.

          chris