Bitter Lake, SE New Mexico

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      Odonata noted on Unit 5, west slough
      Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge
      Chaves County, New Mexico
      April 1, 2007,

      Common Green Darner (Anax junius) several patroling
      the west slough.

      Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum) common
      along the west slough and south side of Unit 5

      Familiar Bluet (Enallagma civile) common in salt
      grass along the south side of Unit 5 impoundment

      Desert Forktail (Ischnura barberi) several noted
      along the west slough and in salt grass edge of the
      impoundment.

      Arroyo Bluet (Enallagma praevarum) common on the
      impoundment.

      Blue-ringed Dancer (Argia sedula) several noted
      along the fresh water west slough.

      Black-fronted Forktail (Ischnura denticollis) large
      numbers in the salt grass along the southern edge
      of Unit 5 impoundment.

      Plains Forktail (Ischnura damula) common along the
      west fresh water slough of Unit 5.

      Mexican Forktail (Ischnura demorsa) two females and
      a single male noted along the fresh water west slough
      of Unit 5.

      Aztec Dancer (Argia nahuana) numerous tenerals noted
      all along the west slough of Unit 5 and all around
      the visitors center overlooking Unit 5.

      Robert Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico

      The fish are biting.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        Good information, Robert. I think it's interesting that there are so
        many damselfly species emerging, while the only anisopteran species
        you have are the two migrants.

        dennispaulson@...