Re: [SoWestOdes] Re: [CalOdes] borrego feb 17

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2007
      jeffrey a lubchansky wrote:

      > how does one determine if a bug is a late prior season or an early
      > next season?
      > thx

      It's difficult!
      What I do is look at all the data, and if the Jan or Feb sighting is
      continuous with a Dec sighting, I consider it an extension of the late
      flight data.
      If it shows a break before it, but there are continuous months
      thereafter, I consider it a new early data.
      If it is not continuous with any other sightings (by month), then I
      consider it an aberrant event for the time being....
      Hope this makes sense!

    • doug@basiclink.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2007
        In the butterfly world, they use the calender for dates of what's
        early and what's late, which is alittle bizarre. I have the late
        date and early date record for Mourning Cloak in California
        December 31st and January 1st.

        In the birding world they use the seasons to say what's early or
        late, and I believe this is a better way to do things.

        Douglas Aguillard
        San Diego, CA
        doug@...