Alien Creatures Photo

  • jeepney204
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      Hi Chris, I am on Ode Group now. WOW, looks Alien to me.
      My thoughts on your photo:
      Looks like the last exoskeleton or can we call it exuvia as well in
      other insects as we do in dragonflies?
      Anyway it looks like incomplete metamorphosis.
      After some research I believe these Aliens are Silverfish, but it
      would be nice to know how long they are? Photos are deceiving. The
      description calls out <20mm in length, I believe 25.4mm is 1 inch, to
      late in the evening to double check.

      Insect species that undergo incomplete metamorphosis include
      silverfish, mayflies, dragonflies, damselflies, stoneflies,
      cockroaches, termites, praying mantids, earwigs, grasshoppers, stick-
      insects, web-spinners, booklice, parasitic lice, true bugs and thrips.

      Silverfish
      Class: Insecta
      Phylum: Arthropoda
      Order: Thysanura

      Less than 20mm in length, wingless, with three 'tails' or cerci and
      bodies covered in tiny silver scales. Eyes, if present, are on
      opposite sides of the head. Live in plant compost, caves and animal
      burrows. Eat a wide variety of plant and animal foods. Some pest
      species eat paper and glue. Predators are mainly spiders.

      Final research source came from:
      http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/bugs/resources/orders.aspx?orderID=1
      On the World Wide Web

      See you Saturday at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum for the Dragonfly
      Walk

      Thats my best guess! Maybe someone else that is good at this can
      proof me wrong
      Roger