Monday Bitter Lake Odes

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      I had a chance, yesterday afternoon, to visit the
      small saline ponds located in the northeast corner of
      Unit 5 on the Bitter Lake National Wildlfie Refuge.
      Those two small connected ponds were buzzing with
      dragonflies after a night of our first good rain since
      last October. The ponds on gypsum soil are filled
      with Stonewart and the rim lined with Saltgrass, Sea
      Lavender, Pickleweed, and young plants of the Pecos
      Puzzle Sunflower. The following flies were noted:

      Variegated Meadowhawk - numerous teneral males
      Swift Setwing
      Checkered Setwing
      Seaside Dragonlet
      Common Green Darner
      Bleached Skimmer - many at the pond and east slough
      Sulpher-tipped Clubtail
      Four-Spotted Pennant
      Red Saddlebags
      Black Saddlebags
      Marl Pennant - numerous teneral males and females
      Wandering Glider
      Flame Skimmer
      Spot-winged Glider
      Desert Forktail - large numbers in the Saltgrass
      Arroyo Bluet - common on the ponds

      A single male Neon Skimmer was observed atop the
      antenna of the refuge sedan at refuge headquarters.

      Robert Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico

      http://mail.yahoo.com