Easter Odes along the Pecos

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 8:38 PM
      Hi SoWesters,

      I visited the oxbows on the Pecos River just south of
      Highway 380, Chaves County, New Mexico today April 16,
      2006. The temperature was 92 degrees (F.), clear with
      light winds (5-10 mph).

      Species observed:

      Common Green Darner (Anax junius)

      Blue-eyed Darner (Rhionaeschna multicolor)

      Black Saddlebags (Tramea lacerata)

      Species examined:

      Dot-winged Baskettail (Epitheca petechialis) male

      Dot-winged Baskettail (Epitheca petechialis) male

      Double-striped Bluet (Enallagma basidens) 7 males

      Double-striped Bluet (Enallagma basidens) female, a
      homeochromatic blue form female.

      Desert Forktail (Ischnura barberi) male

      Mexican Forktail (Ischnura demorsa) female, a blue
      homeochromatic form, but showing much larger humeral
      stripes than the male. I have not seen this female
      form before.

      Citrine Forktail (Ischnura hastata) male. The
      Dot-winged Baskettails were quite fond of snapping up
      the blue pruinosed females of this forktail as they
      worked their beats along the edge of the oxbows.

      Notes on the visit to Bottomless Lakes State Park
      today to follow.

      http://mail.yahoo.com