Re: [SoWestOdes] Some April Odes from SE Calif. deserts

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14 11:39 AM
      Hi Robert and all,

      I thought I'd post our sightings from earlier this week in the southern
      Calif. deserts as a comparison to Robert's findings. It seems that only
      Riverside County's interior desert oasis areas had any odes at all in
      Calif! REALLY slow here. Usually we've had several dozen species sighted
      by now, this post brings our total to 15.
      ----

      Dave and I headed to the (Calif) deserts to give a class/escape the
      rain/ find some sunshine and some odes.
      It worked!

      Our first day, Friday the 7th, was spent previewing the constructed
      wildlife pond at the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens (Riverside County).
      We had a female Roseatte Skimmer ovipositing. Then a male came in and
      they mated, then she oviposited some more. The only other dragonfly seen
      there was a mature male *Blue Dasher.
      At the same pond on the 8th, we only saw one male Roseatte Skimmer.
      Alas, this was the day of our class there.

      On the 9th we explored the Indian Canyons in the Agua Caliente Indian
      Reservation, between Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage (Riverside County).
      This area has only recently reopened to the public and we think it has
      great possibilities. In the stream in the main Palm Canyon (gorgeous!)
      we found *American Rubyspots [new early flight date, old early date
      03/25/04], *Vivid Dancers, a couple of *Flame Skimmers and several *Red
      Rock Skimmers. The Red Rock Skimmers were young males and only partially
      'colored-up'

      Later on the 9th we went to Anza-Borrego SP (San Diego County). It was
      cold and windy and although we didn't identify any Odoanta there, we did
      run into one CalOder who we finally identified as Bruce Webb!

      On the 11th we drove down to the New River Wetlands Project out of
      Imperial (Imperial Co). Not much was out and it was still very windy,
      but we did identify several *Familiar Bluets, hanging onto the grass at
      the pond's edge for dear life. One Forktail was seen briefly, probably a
      Rambur's Forktail and we saw one Skimmer of some type, possibly a
      Variegated Meadowhawk.

      On the 12th, yesterday, we hiked the LONG mile into Dos Palmas Preserve
      - on the East side of the Salton Sea - in Riverside County. You no
      longer need to get special permission to get in, but, they won't unlock
      the gate for you either!! We had seen so many wonderful things here in
      May back in 1998, so we hoped to find a few things flying, and we did at
      least find 8 species:
      American Rubyspot - 2, one male and one female
      *Blue-ringed Dancer - a few
      *Paiute Dancer - 3-4
      *Rambur's Forktail - many
      Rhionaeshna species - 2
      Wandering Glider - 2
      Western Pondhawk - 4 females ovipositing, one male
      Blue Dasher - many!
      Flame Skimmer - 2 males

      I believe that many of these are first sightings of the year and I've
      put an asterisk in front of any I think are 'new' for 2006. If you've
      seen one, but not reported it as it is a common species, please let us
      know!