Tentative ID of Cardinal Meadowhawk for Utah

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2006
      Hi Dr. Abbott and Southwest Odes,

      I was looking at Nicky Davis's web site Utah Wild,
      Dragonflies and Damselflies, showing an unknown female
      Sympetrum from Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake.
      The site can be accessed through Kathy Biggs's
      Southwest web site. The dragonfly appears to be the
      Cardinal Meadowhawk (Sympetrum illotum). The key
      features are the color and red peterostigma on the
      wing, and the barely visible supplementary transverse
      carina on segment 4, along with a single row of cells
      subtended by the radial planate which generally rules
      out the elusive (Sympetrum madidum) suspected for Utah
      and (Sympetrum corruptum) showing two rows. Also, as
      noted for (Sympetrum illotum) she is showing the 9
      antinodal crossveins in the forewing and 7 in the
      hindwing along with some brown basal brown streaks.
      The Meadowhawk was photographed on Antelope Island
      September 25, 2005 in Davis County, Utah, and has not
      been recorded for Utah as far as I know.

      R. Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico

      http://mail.yahoo.com