New Odes for Lea County

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 7:57 AM
      I found a web blog out of Tatum, Lea County, New
      Mexico called "Mr. Bill's Pond" located in southeast
      Tatum and posted by an anonymous "Kenney". Tatum is
      located on Highway 380 about 24 miles west of Plains,
      Texas on the Llano Estacado. The Odonata images are
      mostly incidental to the many hundreds of pond images
      and a little off color and somewhat out of focus, but
      I was able to identify some Odes not previously
      recorded for Lea County.

      Among those new dragonflies and damselflies are the
      Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctousa), the Aztec Dancer
      (Argia nahuana), Desert Firetail (Telebasis salva),
      and the Plateau Dragonlet (Erythrodiplax basifusca).

      Those identified species do not meet the required
      format of Odonata Central for new county records as
      the location of the pond in Tatum is not known and
      some dates of the photos are not posted. But, I am
      placing them on my informal working list for Lea
      County which I will update and post.

      R. Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico

      http://mail.yahoo.com